Possible BHG?

nytefire

Supramania Contributor
Jun 14, 2006
Virginia
Good morning everyone,

I've run into some issues over the last few weeks, and I keep thinking BHG in my mind after reading as much as I can find about my troubles.

Symptoms
- Losing coolant, warmer temps than normal (Replaced bad hose off rear of block, now thinking it sprung a leak due to excessive pressure)
- Losing coolant through the overflow.
- I get pressure in the hoses after about 20 mins and the car warms up.
- If I leave the cap off, when it warms up I get bubbles in the radiator.

I pulled the thermostat housing and heard it spring snap closed (there's one issue) Now. Could having a stuck open thermostat cause my symptoms? Possibly hot enough that the coolant was boiling and building pressure enough to push out the overflow. Or, do I have a BHG when it warms up that it starts pushing air though the cooling system.

Now, here are a couple other things:
- No coolant sticking to the dipstick, nothing under the cap that makes me think that coolant is getting into the oil.
- No white smoke out of the exhaust.

I have not been driving the car since I noticed it getting warm for fear of doing any more damage.

I'm replacing the thermostat today.

The shop around the corner did a pressure test to the cooling, but did not see any leaks anywhere. I'm open to suggestions at this point right now. The only mods to car are just a downpipe, and intake. Everything else is stock.

Thanks,

Joe

FlikRacing

Banned
Apr 2, 2008
Michigan
nytefire;995216 said:
Good morning everyone,

I've run into some issues over the last few weeks, and I keep thinking BHG in my mind after reading as much as I can find about my troubles.

Symptoms
- Losing coolant, warmer temps than normal (Replaced bad hose off rear of block, now thinking it sprung a leak due to excessive pressure)
- Losing coolant through the overflow.
- I get pressure in the hoses after about 20 mins and the car warms up.
- If I leave the cap off, when it warms up I get bubbles in the radiator.

I pulled the thermostat housing and heard it spring snap closed (there's one issue) Now. Could having a stuck open thermostat cause my symptoms? Possibly hot enough that the coolant was boiling and building pressure enough to push out the overflow. Or, do I have a BHG when it warms up that it starts pushing air though the cooling system.

Now, here are a couple other things:
- No coolant sticking to the dipstick, nothing under the cap that makes me think that coolant is getting into the oil.
- No white smoke out of the exhaust.

I have not been driving the car since I noticed it getting warm for fear of doing any more damage.

I'm replacing the thermostat today.

The shop around the corner did a pressure test to the cooling, but did not see any leaks anywhere. I'm open to suggestions at this point right now. The only mods to car are just a downpipe, and intake. Everything else is stock.

Thanks,

Joe

Yes! if your thermostat does not open, pressure can build up, boiling will occur as well. get a new one and then see if you still have those problems get a test kit, and see if there are exhaust gases in your coolant, it's a tester you put a special blue dye in the tube and if it changes color to green or yellow you have exahust gases entering your coolant. Just take your time, and I hope you did not run your engine to long, that water would be circulating through your motor receiving absolutely no cooling, lets hope you did not cause any damage.

Good luck with this.:icon_razz

nytefire

Supramania Contributor
Jun 14, 2006
Virginia
Thanks,

I replaced the thermostat, let it run a good 30 minutes it warmed up, and never went above halfway. I can tell its still got some air in the system so I'll flush that later again. Its pressurizing some, but not as much as it had been.

The shop around the corner will look at it next week see if its doing the same thing. But I may have missed the knock of the BHG. Maybe next week it will get me.

Joe