Porsche 914: Project Electric Car Need Input!

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Hey everyone, looking for some input here. Just recently picked up this clean body 1972 914-4 I am planning on getting a prefabbed kit from electroauto.com and doing the conversion myself. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted to do an electric car conversion and if anyone has been succesfull. To me it looks pretty straight forward and I am being totally funded on this project so money is not an issue. Any input is appreciated!

Here is the kit.
http://electroauto.com/catalog/ackits.shtml#ac914

Here is the car.
p480352_1.jpg

p480352_2.jpg

p480352_3.jpg

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
The cool part about this project is that if it all works out it will have some serious power increases over stock. I beleive the stock HP on the 4 cylinder motor is 80 and with the AC electrics I will be looking at I think around 115 hp and 170 ft/lbs of torque. And it will be really cheap to recharge and still have 100-150 mile range on a charge. The cool thing is the kit includes 911 brakes and heavy duty springs and shocks.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
thats hella tight
the coolest thing sabout electric motos is they offer 100 torque from a stand still
so burn out any one? or killer 60 foot times too!

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
you would be much happier with a subaru wrx motor back there, or a mazda 12a rotary, especially with the 5 speed of the 914. from what i have seen and heard, the electric swap isnt that bad at all. one forum that probably has the info would be www.shoptalkforums.com . those guys know everything about the type I, II, III, and IV.

enjoi and have fun with it.

edit. try and find something to put on the bonnett, it looks like its missing something.

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
pimptrizkit, 100% torque at 0rpms is what excites me, especially with 165 tires on there.

foreverpsycoticThanks for the link, I have my Supra for going fast and wasting gas, this one is for not wasting gas.

SupraDerk and HellsLegion, I appreciate all the comments, what you cant see is the three car garage connected to the two car storage area.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
This is a cool idea! That would be diffrent to drive, be ready to explain it all to people as they see it. Gotta do a build thread for it. Looked at the link for the engine, so did i read it correctly? its like 13k in parts? Wish I had your money!

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Yeah I am really excited about it. To drive it, you just put it in any gear and go. So if I wanted I could start out in 5th gear. Cant stall it and it has the torque needed to just pick a gear and go. It is about 13k for parts but I am being funded by my parents because when I am done with the project I will be giving it to them to drive. If it works out I am going to start a build thread when the parts arrive. This will definantly not be under powered like so many of the electric cars on the market today.