Porblems with Injectors 2 and 6

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
Hey guys what's going on. I'm having an issue with the supra that i just bought. It ran rough when i bought it and the guy said he had no idea what was wrong with it. When i got home with the car i noticed that injectors 2 and 6 weren't firing. When i took the clips off them the car had no change it idle at all, but when i would take a clip from lets say injector 1 and put it on injector 2 it works. What could be the problem here? Resistor pack?, ECU? Wiring?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
ecu, wiring (my money is on the wiring) and the injector, bust out the multimeter and check for continuity. id send ALL the injectors out to be tested,cleaned and rebuilt (rc comes to mind) as well. small small price considering the cost of a rebuild ;)

cash flow permitting you could upgrade too

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
grimreaper;1271471 said:
ecu, wiring (my money is on the wiring) and the injector, bust out the multimeter and check for continuity. id send ALL the injectors out to be tested,cleaned and rebuilt (rc comes to mind) as well. small small price considering the cost of a rebuild ;)

cash flow permitting you could upgrade too

The thing is i got these injectors off a running car that the guy just upgraded to 550's. I changed out all 6 of them. Also the clips for injectors 2 and 6 when i switch them lets say i pull of clip 6(injector doesn't fire) and put it on to injector 5 it fires the injector? So i would guess the clips are fine and it's just that i got 2 bad injectors numbers 2 and 6. I'm gonna try another ecu tomorrow and see what happens.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
albert74;1271606 said:
The thing is i got these injectors off a running car that the guy just upgraded to 550's. I changed out all 6 of them. Also the clips for injectors 2 and 6 when i switch them lets say i pull of clip 6(injector doesn't fire) and put it on to injector 5 it fires the injector? So i would guess the clips are fine and it's just that i got 2 bad injectors numbers 2 and 6. I'm gonna try another ecu tomorrow and see what happens.

considering you have the injector in a cup measuring flow (not likely) then yes. 20yrs + X miles, stock 440's can be sketchy at best...

If the ecu is free, try it, i still think your going to be tracing a wiring or injector issue man...

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
grimreaper;1271611 said:
considering you have the injector in a cup measuring flow (not likely) then yes. 20yrs + X miles, stock 440's can be sketchy at best...

If the ecu is free, try it, i still think your going to be tracing a wiring or injector issue man...

I'm gonna try the ecu out tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
tried a working ecu and that didn't help. I'm gonna be getting a noid light tomorrow to see if i'm getting and pulsing in the 2 clips at all

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i had the exact same problem after i finished my build... except i was using 550cc injectors and it was number 1 and 6 injectors. i went through everything thinking that it was a wiring or electrical problem. even swapped another ecu. it ended up being the injectors were messed up after i got them cleaned and flow match from RC.
after you check the basics, i would recommend sending them out to be checked. its not a bad idea anyway
-pete

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
Ok so i got myself a noid light, and injector clips 2 and 6 are pulsing fine. I put another ecu in, another ignitor and another working resistor pack and got nowhere. I'm thinking that 2 and 6 are either blown and have barely any compression. I'll be compression testing the engine tomorrow to see what it really is. If compression is low, i'll be parting it out.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
albert74;1281940 said:
Ok so i got myself a noid light, and injector clips 2 and 6 are pulsing fine. I put another ecu in, another ignitor and another working resistor pack and got nowhere. I'm thinking that 2 and 6 are either blown and have barely any compression. I'll be compression testing the engine tomorrow to see what it really is. If compression is low, i'll be parting it out.

Am I missing something?

Injectors 2 + 6 don't fire
Taking the plug from 2 and putting it on 1, 1 fires, same for 6 and 5
Plugs pulse like they should

There could be only one explanation, bad injectors on 2 and 6.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
mkiii222;1281944 said:
Am I missing something?

Injectors 2 + 6 don't fire
Taking the plug from 2 and putting it on 1, 1 fires, same for 6 and 5
Plugs pulse like they should

There could be only one explanation, bad injectors on 2 and 6.

p1281956_1.gif

Your noid light confirms that the injectors are getting the signal to fire. If they're not firing, then there can only be one explanation....

Last edited:

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
i've changed those same injectors out like 3 times. I've even taken the supposedly non working injectors and put them lets say on 4 and 5 and they work. so it's not the injectors. I think i have low compression on 2 and 6. I'm gonna compression test it today and see what i find.