Plug N Play electric fan control switches.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I have used two different forms of electric/aftermarket fan control switches and switch mounting designs. I figured I would give a listing of some new switches I found in hopes that they might make life easier for some people.

I had been using a Horton fan switch for fan control on a semi/big rig air fan control system on cars I'd built. These switches can be had in 190,195,200, and 205 degree cut on points and are available in N/O or N/C or Both configurations, but they require a 1/2 " npt hole to mount them. I have modded the t-stat housings to accept these and built stainless 1 1/4" top radiator hoses to carry these switches. They make these switches in a 3/8 " thread but they are 100.00 to 135.00 where as the 1/2 " npt switches are 40.00 to 50.00. Summit sells fan control switches but they are about 60.00 a kit and require a 3/8 " npt hole (something that is not on the 7m stock). You can tap out the existing 3/8 " bpt hole but they sometimes will leak do to a thread overlap from the metric tapping to the standard tapping. This can usually be fixed by using good thread sealant or even RTV Black or Gray sealant.

All of this lead to looking for a plug n play switch for modified cars such as people going to FFI's or not using their CSI anymore. Napa sell two switches an FS140 that turns the fan on at 182 to 189 degrees (25.00) and an FS132 that turns the fan on at 194 to 202 degrees (35.00). These two switches have 16 by 1.5 mm threads and will screw directly into the CSI thermo time switch port on top of the engine side t stat housing and they are normally open switches(N/O).

I wire these switches to control the primary or trigger circuit of a relay with a driver emergency override switch in case of a coolant switch failure. I have been running the Horton switches for 5 years and never had a failure and my fans cut on at 190 and off at 178 to 182 even on upper 90 degree days. The owner of the car I'm building now and I have decided to try the cooler of the two switches on his upgraded automatic car and see how it works. I'll keep you posted.
Sean

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I looked into the Corolla fan switch and it's still 16 mm by 1.5 thread pitch which has to screw into the thermo switch for CSI, but it's still around 60.00.

Item#: ECHFS176

Price: $57.49
tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Usually ships in 24 hours.

Attributes:
# of Terminals:1
Features & Benefits:Echlin Products
Look
Fit & Perform Like Original Equipment Parts. Most Are Designed & Manufactured to Perform Even Better Than the Original.
Temperature Rating:Contacts normally closed
opens at 194deg. F.; Closes at 185deg. F. Descending temp.
Thread Size:M16x1.5
Type of Packaging:Box
Type of Terminal:Mini Male Spade

Add To Cart

Return to Previous Page

New Search

This was for a 77 Toyota Corolla.

Sean

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
awesome work sean!
using a threaded sensor directly into the tstat housing sure does beat the stuff that you bend into the hose or clamp into the radiator fins.