Please Help!

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
Alright, here's my delema. I have a 89 N/A and I've been driving the car just over a month since I finally took it out after winter was over. Last week I drove into town and stopped in a parking lot. When i got out of the car i saw a line of engine coolant behind me and a big puddle starting to develop under the car. What appeared to have happened was the car overheated and the coolant was coming out of the coolant overflow tank. After I topped the radiator off I started it up and after running for maybe a minute, the upper rad hose sucked in on itself like the water pump was just sucking air. I cracked the rad cap and the hose went back to normal shape. It seemed like the thermostat was stuck closed. I was however able to drive nearly 60 miles of interstate without any problems right after. Later that night on the way home though it did the same thing again. But again after topping off the radiator and letting it cool for a few minutes I made it all the way home without any trouble. Now we're at the point where I am now. I bought a new thermostat and a coolant flush kit with coolant system cleaner as well. The reason I got the flush kit and cleaner was that after taking the old t-stat out I found "HUGE" chunks of deposits in the t-stat housing and on the t-stat itself. So I think that i found what the problem was. Also while connecting the flush kit I found the coolant lines themsleves had a lot of biuldup in them. So after "multiple" flushes and 3 bottles of cleaner, the damn t-stat will still stick shut once the car reaches normal temp. This is pissing me off because there were no more visual deposits after the last 2 flushes but the t-stat is still getting clogged somehow. The dealership that i bought the car from last summer gave me a list of new partws that they put on the car, one of which was a new radiator. How do you install a new radiator and not flush the system out first? DAMMIT! So now I am kind of at a loss because I do not understand why the t-stat is still getting clogged. If anyone has run into the same problem or just knows anything that would help, please let me know. I've been without my supra for almost a week and I'm allready getting withdrawl symptoms.:cry:

Sorry for all the reading guys.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
Sorry I didn't mention that but yes I did have the thermostat out while i was flushing it.
The water pump apppears to be fine. It isn't leaking from the "bad hole", no weird noises, seems to be running fine.

Just that after I flush it and don't see any deposits, even small ones. I try to run it whith the thermostat installed and it still sticks shut.