Please help me! losing interest fast.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
just bought my 87 auto na targa not even a month ago but now im starting to loose interest on it. friends and people that knows me said that why did i even bought it and say that i must be stupid to do a 5spd turbo to it because it will be hard and all the money i drop into the car, i can just get a turbo one already but hey, a project is a project. so what should i do? sell it or keep it and finish it? always wanted one since i knew what it was but i keep getting put down as we speak.

was thinking about getting out of the supra scene and get a s2000 for now but every time i walk outside, i see my supra sitting there like sad:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:, i think to myself, i have to finish project s.

i think that i need to upgrade too but i love the supra body line. its like looking at a nsx.:biglaugh: but with the power of killing cars...:evil2:

so help me decide..

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Everyone feels like this once or more during down times with the poopra. About 1/2 way through my 2jz project with both the 7m motor torn out and the 2jz sitting in the garage I felt like quitting. I was looking at the cost of my project verses the cost of buying another car. I spent A SHIT TON of money on my 87, but now the money that I drop in it, it doesn't bother me. I almost got tired of my car after the 1st year with the 7mge in it, but now with project done, every time I hit boost and hear the turbos spool, I get a grin a mile wide. People notice the car everywhere I go, I get props on it all the time, and I stand back and think what if I would have quit and sold it. I know I prolly would be getting out of some honduh that, yes gets me from A to B and, yes gets excellent gas mileage, but would I truly be happy with it? No.

Would I do it all over again?
Hell yes.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
thanks for your input. i was thinking about dropping a 2jz in mines too but cant dued to fund and wanting it on the road by summer or earlier. i really want to hit boost cause its fun. i dont really want to go cruising in a car that is just loud but i want the bov going off. :naughty: love that feeling. need more input too.

also, if i were to get out of the supra, will it be the same as getting out of a exotic car..lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mynes_3;1500211 said:
also, if i were to get out of the supra, will it be the same as getting out of a exotic car..lol

It would be more like crawling out of a money pit........exotic, not so much.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
suprahero;1500233 said:
It would be more like crawling out of a money pit........exotic, not so much.

Jay this is not a help me quit thread, lol. Its a help me continue thread.

Kinda the opposite of AA.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
lol...just saying that since i just thought of it...:biglaugh:

anyways, mind me asking you guys with 2jz swap, what is the total of the whole swap from gathering parts to making it run?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't want him having false hope that it's not going to take all of his money to get this car turbo'd and running properly. He should know now that if he does take on this project, his kids will all be born naked and unable to speak proper english. It's just a fact of life............sorry.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mynes_3;1500252 said:

anyways, mind me asking you guys with 2jz swap, what is the total of the whole swap from gathering parts to making it run?

It's going to cost you a lot.........my 1jz cost me almost eight grand, but I didn't cut any corners. If you don't have at least three or four grand to start with, don't bother.

Mario will know more about this though.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Mynes_3;1500252 said:

I spent a little over 9 grand, not including the car and the coilovers or wheels, or tires. I also started with an NA 5 speed, meaning I had to add the turbo drive train, Could I have done it cheaper? Yes, but I did it the right way the first time, no cut corners. Everything from the wiring to the oil drain plug was correctly done. If you're looking for a cheaper project, a supra isn't one, they can be cheap, but stock. But I also know more supra owners, than any other car group, who have spent the blood, sweat, and tears on their cars and everyday get in it to drive it and love it and wouldn't trade it for anything, I'm one of those.

Remember the triangle.
Reliability - Fast - Cheap.

Pick two.

I went for fast and Reliable, but it wasn't cheap.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
damn. since the 1jz cost almost 8 grand then the 7mgte 5spd with no corner cut will cost more then 4 grand. darn, this is one reason i dont really want the car sitting around. lol...