Planning a 1JZ swap, need some help on a few things, already searched

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Hey guys,

First let me tell you my plans, then I will go into my questions. After much deliberation, I have decided to got the route of buying an engine, trans, ecu, and harness swap as opposed to the clip. For my goals in the swap I feel this will be the most cost effective in the short run. The cheapest I have found a clip is $3500 shipped, and I can get the swap setup for around $2000 shipped. I factored in every other part I could think of to complete the swap (see attached excel spreadsheet). Since I was planning on going with a 2JZGTE water pump and fan-clutch setup I wont need the radiator or hydraulic fan pieces from the clip. I plan on using an aftermarket FMIC, so I will not need the stock one from the clip. I plan on using upgraded mounts, so once again, don't need these from the clip.
I do understand that the stock parts I don't need from the clip could be sold at a later date, but I am on a budget for this, so I need the least amount of initial cost and still have the upgrades I have in my plans taken care of.

My questions are:
Judging from the spreadsheet, am I missing any major items?
Are there any places that I may find better deals on the listed items?

I am planning on going the route of not cutting the harness and going through an elongated speedo cable hole, but have not had much luck finding info or pics of this method...

Let me say thank you ahead of time for all the info, and I can not wait to have a 1JZ MKIII in the stable to add to my AWD 1G DSM!!!

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Sorry, wouldn't let me upload spreadsheet... This will be kind of screwed up but i think you can get the point...

Part Price Manufacturor Vendor
1jz-gte Swap w/5-speed $2,000 Toyota
Cam Seals $20 Toyota Driftmotion
Oil pressure Sender Conversion Hose $20 Driftmotion Driftmotion
Serpentine Belt $25 Driftmotion Driftmotion
Motor Mount Brackets $99 Ebay
Polyeurathane Motor Mounts $90 revshift Ebay
Polyeurathane Transmission Mount $90 BIC Driftmotion
Front Main Seal $15 Toyota Driftmotion
Power Steering Pressure Hose $65 Driftmotion Driftmotion
Rear Main Seal $38 Toyota Driftmotion
Thermostat $21 Toyota Driftmotion
Timing Belt $32 Driftmotion
Timing Belt Tensioner $67 Driftmotion
2jz Throttle Cable $68 Toyota Driftmotion
7mgte Oil Sending Unit $39 Driftmotion
Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit $260 Aeromotive Driftmotion
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $90 Walbro Ebay
Clutch Slave Cylinder $40 Driftmotion
2jz Fan Clutch $75 Used Ebay
Water Pump $50 ASC Advance Auto Parts
Fuel Filter $20 Driftmotion
Battery Tie Down Kit $19 Driftmotion
1jz Downpipe $200 Ebay
Valve Cover Gaskets w/Grommets $35 Felpro Advance Auto Parts
Radiator Hoses $65 Driftmotion
Catback Exhaust $350 EDTMotors Ebay
XTD Stage 3 Clutch $250 Ebay
1JZ FMIC Kit $450 EDTMotors Ebay
$4,593

Last edited:

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
Does that advance auto water pump come with all the stuff that you need? I bought mine from Toyotapartsbarn.com or driftmotion (can't remember) and it had everything. You will also need a pulley to mount the clutch to.
That XTD Ebay clutch is actually kinda crappy, but should get you up and running intially. I would have sprung for a better one off the bat, only because it kind of sucks to replace later down the line if you want to make decent power.
Edit: I think you need a MKIV fan shroud, but I could be pullin that out of my a$$. I have most of the parts, but too lazy to put everything together. lol.

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
One other problem I am running into is from my research I'm seeing that a Supra 1JZ ecu and harness is different than a Soarer or other manual transmissioned 1JZ car. So how can I tell if the swap I am getting is from a Supra, short of asking the importer because it is not known if you can trust them. Is there a certain part number series on the labels for a supra ecu?

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
jboyle83;1479802 said:
One other problem I am running into is from my research I'm seeing that a Supra 1JZ ecu and harness is different than a Soarer or other manual transmissioned 1JZ car. So how can I tell if the swap I am getting is from a Supra, short of asking the importer because it is not known if you can trust them. Is there a certain part number series on the labels for a supra ecu?

I think the Supras are all rear sump and the others are not. Don't quote me on that. I'm still a newb.

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Thanks for the reply Oppie.
As far as the water pump goes, no it is only the pump and gasket, but the MKIV fan clutch and fan includes the pulley so that should cover that I think...

As far as the XTD clutch goes, I have used them in 2 different DSM's, both AWD, and both making 350+AWHP, and 325+AWTQ, both launched hard on many, many occasions, and have had no issues, and have loved them. I know there is a thread floating around on here with a bunch of harsh words on them, but since I've had such a great experience with them in the past, I figured why not give them a shot in the Supra. At least its easier to do a clutch in the Supra than in an ADW DSM...

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Oppie1;1479805 said:
I think the Supras are all rear sump and the others are not. Don't quote me on that. I'm still a newb.

I believe that Soarers also came rear sump, and Chasers were front sump... Is that correct guys?

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
jboyle83;1479811 said:
Thanks for the reply Oppie.
As far as the water pump goes, no it is only the pump and gasket, but the MKIV fan clutch and fan includes the pulley so that should cover that I think...

As far as the XTD clutch goes, I have used them in 2 different DSM's, both AWD, and both making 350+AWHP, and 325+AWTQ, both launched hard on many, many occasions, and have had no issues, and have loved them. I know there is a thread floating around on here with a bunch of harsh words on them, but since I've had such a great experience with them in the past, I figured why not give them a shot in the Supra. At least its easier to do a clutch in the Supra than in an ADW DSM...

Cool, yea I have heard mixed things. I actually bought one, but decided to ditch it because I was nervous about it. BTW I'm not sure if that Advance pump is going to have everything you need. Most places only sell the front half, but an online Toyota parts dealer or the pump on DM site will have everything.

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Oppie1;1479830 said:
Cool, yea I have heard mixed things. I actually bought one, but decided to ditch it because I was nervous about it. BTW I'm not sure if that Advance pump is going to have everything you need. Most places only sell the front half, but an online Toyota parts dealer or the pump on DM site will have everything.

Explain what you mean by front half...

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
If you already have a trans, buy a bellhousing and get an auto 1jzgte, because almost every 5spd left will be beat up and might already come with a 3 in downpipe. This happened to my friend and it also came with blown turbo's.

Loose Seal

Cressy Lurker
Feb 5, 2008
Midwest
I have given Driftmotion plenty of business to feel just fine saying this... Buy your OEM Toyota parts from Elmhurst, Champion, or any other reputable Toyota dealer that has 1j knowledge. In my experience all the parts were significantly cheaper than through DM - which only makes sense. Get the full 2j waterpump from the dealer too.

You'll be just fine using the OEM fuel pressure regulator at this point. Save some cash there.

Not sure if you're looking at rubber or silicone, but silicone radiator hoses are cheaper than your listed price via eBay. Mine have proven to be quality to this point.

XTD clutch is junk.

Get your Walbro from Driftmotion for about the same price, save on shipping.

Personally I'd save the hassle and cash from dealing with a clutch fan and go electric. Summit brand fans are pretty cheap and are the same as FAL. Pulls a ton of air, they've kept mine plenty cool on track. I'm sure others will find mythical reasons to disagree.

Good luck...

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Will the walbro not over run the stock fuel pressure regulator? I know that this is a problem in the world of dsm's.
Loose Seal;1480447 said:
I have given Driftmotion plenty of business to feel just fine saying this... Buy your OEM Toyota parts from Elmhurst, Champion, or any other reputable Toyota dealer that has 1j knowledge. In my experience all the parts were significantly cheaper than through DM - which only makes sense. Get the full 2j waterpump from the dealer too.

You'll be just fine using the OEM fuel pressure regulator at this point. Save some cash there.

Not sure if you're looking at rubber or silicone, but silicone radiator hoses are cheaper than your listed price via eBay. Mine have proven to be quality to this point.

XTD clutch is junk.

Get your Walbro from Driftmotion for about the same price, save on shipping.

Personally I'd save the hassle and cash from dealing with a clutch fan and go electric. Summit brand fans are pretty cheap and are the same as FAL. Pulls a ton of air, they've kept mine plenty cool on track. I'm sure others will find mythical reasons to disagree.

Good luck...

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
I was kicking around this idea but by the time I get the flywheel and bellhousing, I can spend about the same and have a spare trans, or sell my old one for a decent amount.

nick88;1480406 said:
If you already have a trans, buy a bellhousing and get an auto 1jzgte, because almost every 5spd left will be beat up and might already come with a 3 in downpipe. This happened to my friend and it also came with blown turbo's.

x357rq

Jan 2, 2010
OFallon
ok i've been out of the game for awhile, and i dont want to jack the thread...but where can you get a 1jz with 5spd attached for 2k? i bought my last 1j from jarco about 5 years ago, and that doesnt seem to be an option anymore