Piston & ECU question.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I bought a 87 MKIII Turbo about 2-3 weeks ago & it had the Turbo manifold & turbo housing. We are currently rebuilding the engine & we realized it is a 7MGE block. We bought a turbo from a person today & now that we know its not a 7MGTE we are going to buy the 7MGTE block from the same person. But now i fear that the pistons i have are the 7MGE's & that the ECU its not for a 7MGTE. How could i check if the pistons & ECU are for a 7MGTE?? :nono:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I6Boost;1623968 said:
Post pictures?

&& The ECU\'s normally saying 7M-G or 7M-GT i believe.

The ECU's for the GE and GTE are TOTALLY different. They may be TCCS, and use the same CPU, but the GE uses a distributor and a flap style AFM, whereas the GTE uses wasted spark coilpacks/cam position sensor and a karmann vortex style AFM.

The top of the ECU has a sticker on the top plate that'll say either: 7MGE followed by either A/T or M/T, or 7MGT followed by either A/T or MT.

You can also use the part number as a reference.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Kai;1623972 said:
The ECU\'s for the GE and GTE are TOTALLY different. They may be TCCS, and use the same CPU, but the GE uses a distributor and a flap style AFM, whereas the GTE uses wasted spark coilpacks/cam position sensor and a karmann vortex style AFM.

The top of the ECU has a sticker on the top plate that\'ll say either: 7MGE followed by either A/T or M/T, or 7MGT followed by either A/T or MT.

You can also use the part number as a reference.

I think you misunderstood my post or something? i didnt say they were the same, nor did i say he could use either one. && Hes not asking how are they different as in factors/actions, hes asking how can you tell them apart from visual aspect.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Well before we took out the engine it would start & the engine would run but it would knock (It is coil pack with CPS) So i am guessing The ECU is 7MGT. Also as we started taking it apart we found out the Turbo didn't have the waste gate valve or whatever it is called or the Turbine wheel & Compressor Wheel. Today we bought another CT26 Turbo with minimum shaft play & the oil filter bracket because it was missing & as i was trying to see where the oil lines would connect i realized they were not there & i looked up 7MGTE blocks & confirmed the block i have is a 7MGE. I called the man i bought the turbo from & he does has the 7MGTE block but the thing is i don't know if they pistons i have right NOW will work & honestly i don't want to spend more money buying the pistons because i had a machine shop recondition the ones i have. I WILL POST PICTURES ASAP. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Attachments

• 1003101855a..jpg
    1003101855a..jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1003101855..jpg
    1003101855..jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1003101856a..jpg
    1003101856a..jpg
    667 KB · Views: 5
  • 1003101859c..jpg
    1003101859c..jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1003101859a..jpg
    1003101859a..jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I6Boost;1623974 said:
I think you misunderstood my post or something? i didnt say they were the same, nor did i say he could use either one. && Hes not asking how are they different as in factors/actions, hes asking how can you tell them apart from visual aspect.

I didn't misunderstand. I did *read* his post, and answered his question. However, I did throw in extra information just so he wouldn't think you could use a GE ECU anyway.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can get some gte npr pistons from driftmotion for like 120 with rings. Just make sure you take the block the machinest first and get the right size.

Fyi the rods are the same so you can use the ge ones if there still good. Cranks are the same too although there are 2 different cranks between the years but it has nothing to do with turbo/na.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
THANK YOU!!!!!! Im going to be driving 2 hours today to go get the GTE Block & 5 GTE Pistons & rods. So im guessing i would just have to have the pistons measured & If they are standard i already have the rings & after that buy one GTE piston & use one of the 6 rods i already have from the GE pistons & now another problem has arise. I don't have the Oil Filter Housing Bolt & Toyota doesn't make them anymore & i also need the turbo pressure line bolt. I have no idea how i am going to get these. The person selling me the GTE block said he couldn't find them... :[

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
i should just sold my motor to u a real 7mgte 0.20 over sized pistons and rings , 2mm cometic gasket resurfaced block ,head and crank,new bearings,polished valve covers,lower timming cover,alternator,intake manifold 1k o.b.o btw i still have the motor

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
your kinda too late i've already spent about 800 on my engine.. I would have gladly bought your engine. But if your willing to sell me parts i will buy those that i need.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
You dont have to use the toyota oil filter head, you can use aftermarket fittings and go for a thermostatically controlled system, instead of a pressure based one - if that's too much expense (around $120), then i'm sure there's someone on here that's already done that, and has a spare filter head laying around somewhere...