Pig Rich Wont Start

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
So ive been able to start up my 7mgte swap a couple of times now but every time i try turning it on a second time it wont start.
i took out a spark plug and it was filthy black. This was on a new set of plugs running for only about 15min. Is it possible that im flooding the cylinders making it not able to start up again?

Mods are

walbro 255
500cc inj.
afpr at about 25psi

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
jdmfreak;1990963 said:
Put in Stock injectors or get a way to tune for the 500cc injectors and set your afpr correctly

Can i just lean it out with a lexus afm housing so i can ATLEAST take it home already? Then get myself a safc. And what is the correct psi for the regulator? I thought stock factory range was between 23-30psi?

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
Im running 500 rc injectors that came with the donor car i bought. They ran fine before the swap but this was on stock fuel pump and no regulator. Now i have a walbro and afpr witch is why i believe im running ridiculously rich.

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
jdmfreak;1990969 said:
Your still going to run rich and if you get the lex afm you will run slightly lean due to the fact that it's matched for 550s

Did you get rid of the j-tube?

Wouldnt raising the pressure on the afpr compensate for that? And yeah j tube is gone aswell. This is my first build so thanks for the feed back btw

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I am not entirely sure it wouldn't..... But it's definitely not the right way
As you boost it raises your fp so if you are maxed out before you boost you'll run lean. And lean under boost is very bad news... Do it right unless you don't like your pistons..... Imho

Also if you will be doing stuff like that you really need a wideband at least so you can watch your afr

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
Well plans with the car are to run a piggy back, (safc) is what im going with, and i just ordered a lex housing . Will a tune with my 500cc injectors be ok or will i alway run lean with 500s an a lex housing? I want to do things right but its hard when your a student/partime worker/ project car guy haha

But back to the main topic, so do you think this richness is causing my car to not start up again?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Does the safc allow you to tune the closed loop? The only piggyback I've used is the maft pro and that tuned open loop...

Yes I would bet the richness is causing you to not restart

I am using megasquirt now and I love it
it's affordable and a complete standalone..... Just a thought for your future plans

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
jdmfreak;1990980 said:
Does the safc allow you to tune the closed loop? The only piggyback I've used is the maft pro and that tuned open loop...

Yes I would bet the richness is causing you to not restart

I am using megasquirt now and I love it
it's affordable and a complete standalone..... Just a thought for your future plans

To be honest im not quiet sure on that but i will do more research on it before i decide to purchase it. Is a stand alone really necessary tho? Sorry i haven't mentioned this but my goes is to only run 350-400hp on a 57trim. I dont want to get in with complicated wiring because I'm not so good with it yet.But ofcourse i can always learn lol

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'm running 550cc, Lexus AFM, mkiv TT fuel pump, 11psi stock turbo, 3"exhaust, stock fuel pressure regulator and my car runs and I drive it everyday. So sounds like you may have a different problem.

What are your spark plugs gapped at?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Why not just get 550s and a Lex housing to add the needed air? With 500cc you add about 13% fuel in which you have no added air to compensate for. Like Jdmfreak said, you'll need a piggy back to tune with or you're dumping 13% more fuel and no air to burn it.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Only problem is you can't tune when in closed loop. With a piggy back you only have control once you go into open loop which is 69 or 70% throttle iirc.

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
Oh I just noticed no AFM. Yeah its going to be rich I drove on it a few days and anything over 25% throttle would just flood the motor out and my plugs looked like that. Granted the car started every time

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
I dont run 550 right now cuz the motor came with 500s so im just trying to work with what i have right now. But i dont understand why my car cant atleast start up multiple times. I just bought an afm from a guy on this website so im going to wait for that to get here. But my senses are telling me that wont do fix the not staring up again part.

What other tunning products are you guys running?