pick up tube o-ring

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
How come when I buy a "complete" gasket set is does not include the o ring between the oil pump pick up and the pump? And what about the metal gasket that covers the spark plugs? These seem to loose their coating and thus do a poor job of sealing off the plug area, but where can I get a new one? Thanks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Because usually when you do a rebuild you should buy a new pump and it comes as one assembly.
If this what you are dOing you really should buy a new pump and shim it.

Also the other piece is separate and the gaskets are not removeable from the piece.
There is a pn for some gaskets from napa to get ride of it or you can scrape it clean and use fipg

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
Interesting. I bought a new OEM pump and it did not come with the pick up tube nor the cross pipe. Why would I want to shim the bypass valve? The stock set up gives plenty of pressure and increasing pressure simply wastes horsepower. I've seen lots of guys raise the pressure on small block chevys and thus create spark scatter and give up 4 to 5 horses. Anything over 60 psi at 5k is excessive IMHO.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
It is idle that you are worried about. Stock is 4psi and if you plan on opening up any of your clearances at all its going to show in the oil pressure. Shimming it is cheap assurance. That 3rd cyl head gasket is available from toyota or you can delete it and seal it with a gasket on each plug/orings.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you get the pump from toyota? Because it comes with everything from toyota.

You get spark issues from oil pressure? The 2 dont seem to be related.

Are cars the pump is driven from the timing belt and the same load is on the engine at all times. The only difference is when the pop off valve goes off. No hp would be lost from that.