Phantom Squeaking/Squealing/Whining Sound on 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo (VIDEO)

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
[video=youtube;rJmUJU_Sths]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmUJU_Sths[/video]
(Skip to 1:30 for example sound).

So I started noticing this recently; the only thing that has changed is that I've actually been using my Supra more, and the weather has been warming up. I've been hearing a squealing sound coming from somewhere under the hood. I first noticed it during cold weather start-ups; but it would quickly go away.

Lately, it's been squealing all the time -- especially when I accelerate. Another symptom is at low speeds, when I am doing a very sharp turn, such as backing up into my driveway. At first I thought it was my belts, but they are fine.

According to my Haynes manual, it may be a worn cylinder, bearings or defected crankshaft. Those sound pretty harsh...

So I want a second opinion before I submit it to my local Toyota dealer for inspection.

Thanks for your time,
Suitcase

Last edited:

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
Hah! You guys are brilliant, yanno what?!

I spent three hours checking, and topping off various fluids.

When I got to my power-steering reservoir, I cleaned the outside and removed the cap, cleaning the dipstick. I noticed there was just a dab left on the stick before I wiped; and I reinstalled and measured again. This time there was nothing.

So I scrambled around in my garage and collected the appropriate fluid and topped it off to the correct amount. The squealing has diminished substantially. I can still here a bit of whining, but it is not as loud or noisy as it used to be. So this sure has helped.

Any other suggestions, or do you think that this is merely psychological now? Lol.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
have you filled it properly?, start the car and rotate the wheel from left to right a couple of time, top off the fluid, do it again, top again if you need to.
hopefully the pump has not been affected by the lack of fluid yet.

I've seen this supra on facepunchstudio...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, definately power steering. Find the leak, clean the res. (especially the filter screen) and flush/bleed the system (it's in the TSRM).

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
shipkiller;1695514 said:
have you filled it properly?, start the car and rotate the wheel from left to right a couple of time, top off the fluid, do it again, top again if you need to.
hopefully the pump has not been affected by the lack of fluid yet.

I've seen this supra on facepunchstudio...

Yeah, that's my car. I'm "Gubru" on the Facepunch forums.

Hm, good instructions. I shall do another check today to determine if it is at the proper level.

Last edited:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
When the system gets low, it starts creating foam, and can take a while to purge the system of bubbles after refilling. Any clue where the leak is?