Permacool oil filter adapter

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
So I did the full flow thermostat oil cooler upgrade. But I cant get my permacool adapter to seal correctly. I installed the filter stud into the block first then the adapter on to that.
When I start the car oil it will leak a fair amount. Did I do something wrong or this adapter a piece of a junk?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The adapter should have an O-ring. Was it properly seated in it's groove and lubricated with a little oil? Both the block and adapter surfaces free of any grit/gunk?

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
I did make sure the o-ring was seated and lubricated. I also cleaned the block of any grit with a rag and brake clean before I installed. It leaked so I took it off checked O-ring it was still seated, re installed the adapter + my lines and it still leaked. Not quite sure whats wrong I am thinking of ordering the canton adapter but wanted to see if anyone had any advice before I did.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Permacool adapters are not the best quality...Canton adapters are superb. Having said that, many have used Permacool with success and no issues. I was thinking that the oil is leaking from where the adapter mates to the block, but that was an assumption. Is that correct? Is this the correct adapter diameter wise where the O-ring is against the flat surface on the block all around?

Are you sure the oil is not leaking from the fittings (including hose fittings)? Did you use Teflon tape to seal the fitting threads to the adapter?

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
I am using permacool #111 adapter, fittings are tight and dry. You are correct when I mean the seal from the block to the adapter is leaking. I did use all permatex liquid PTFE sealent on all NPT sides except the for the filter stud to adapter as I misplaced it. I will be getting some this evening and giving it one last go before I order the canton adapter.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ok, suspected that might be the one....

They need to be pulled down hard befre they stop leaking, I used to use them but actually broke one in half removing it for a block change after getting it tight enough....

I went Canton but be aware they need to be modded if you run headers.

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
It's pretty damn tight but I will see if I can get a little extra out of it. Not too worried about headers as I dont plan on changing the stock turbo setup for a little bit.
Thanks for the help IJ and JDUb.

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
Alright got it solved thanks again for the advice. managed to slip a small wrench between the fittings and used it to get leverage and really tighten down on the adapter. No more leak.
Your a life saver. thanks again

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
IJ.;1879027 said:
Ok, suspected that might be the one....

They need to be pulled down hard befre they stop leaking, I used to use them but actually broke one in half removing it for a block change after getting it tight enough....

I went Canton but be aware they need to be modded if you run headers.

Perma cool makes junk adapters, and junk thermostats that kept breaking for me. When I went billet aluminum from Earls for both items I never ever had a problem My Perma cool adapter needed to be tightened like IJ sad, and broke so now I just recommend billet aluminum products in this area.