Pegged the speedo, now the needle bounces at low speed.

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
This is concerning my 91 Turbo car. I have a set of MKIV TT wheels with 275/45-17s on the rear and an A340E auto trans. Long story short, I buried the speedo last night (hit about 6k rpms in the top of 4th) and now at low speeds under about 20mph or so the speedo needle bounces up and down a lot. I know this is fairly common for MKIII's because my last one did it and most others I've seen do it too. The thing is, this car never did until last night. Anyway to steady it out? New speedo cable?

Thanks.

PS- this was done on a closed course in imagination land.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If it bounces all the time, it is usually the cable. If it bounces at low speed only, it is usually the speedo. There is a wound up clock spring that pulls against a magnetic drum. Old age and a lot of tension make the spring softer(weaker).

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Mine used to bounce at low speeds, anything below twenty until i let some 30w oil soak through the line at the ends. Pull the whole cable and build a funnel with a plastic bag around the end and let the oil seep through with it hung up. Took that from another member on here.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Mine used to bounce at low speeds, anything below twenty until i let some 30w oil soak through the line at the ends. Pull the whole cable and build a funnel with a plastic bag around the end and let the oil seep through with it hung up. Took that from another member on here.

oh and the top of 4th is around 130-140 depending on the rear end. No way you truly pegged it. Unless its that off.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
grimreaper;1734817 said:

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

oh and the top of 4th is around 130-140 depending on the rear end. No way you truly pegged it. Unless its that off.

According to the tables posted here 6k rpm is 163 with an auto. Add in the bigger rear tires and he's upwards of 170. Add in addition to that the tendency for speedo to climb and I bet it'd be peggedwell before 6k.

Unless I'm missing something...

I gotta do that oil trick too! Ive head that before.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
We used white lithium grease on speedo cables. But that didn't work with the low speed bounce, only when the cable was sticky.