Passenger lock failing

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Sometimes when I put the key in the passenger door lock, it won't turn to lock. It can turn to unlock, but will refuse to turn the opposite way to lock. Usually locking the driver's door also locks the passenger door, but sometimes it does not. I can also play around with the lock and sometimes if I unlock it and try to lock it really fast it will pop and turn and the door will lock. Has anyone had this problem before or have any input/information? I fixed it by removing the door panel and doing my unlock/lock trick until the door locked, then I locked the door over and over and it kept getting easier and easier to lock every time, and now it seems to be working. Although, since I didn't replace any parts I have a feeling this problem will come back to bug me in the future, and I don't want that. Do I need to get new locks from toyota? Do I need to grease/lubricate some part of the lock assembly?

:1zhelp:

I have this exact problem, but I think it was caused by someone trying to force their way into the car when the previous owner had it because they basically punched the passenger side door handle in and in the process they bent the rods that connect the door handle and probably somehow affected the rods for the lock too. I could see the parts simply wearing out over time normally though. Does yours make a popping sound and the little lock lever moves a bit even if it does not actually lock the door?

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
My handle has not been pushed in and all the parts seem to be in correct working order, the lock just refuses to turn. When it DOES turn, it pops and locks.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
^^^ I'll have to check that out too. The locks on both of my doors are "stuck" in the unlock position. You can't lock or unlock it from outside or inside the car.

I'm just waiting for some warmer weather up here to pull the door panels off, and see what's going on.