parasitic drain test, need electrical help

tweak666

May 11, 2006
boca raton, FL
so, i finally got a new battery and did the parasitic drain tests. 2 problems though. i hooked up my multimeter, one to the battery neg, and one to the negative cable, and for like a second, i could hear my turbo timer beeping, some numbers registered on the meter, then nothing. i tried it for over 5 minutes with no results. then i broke out the test light to see if there was current and maybe my meter was just sucking. when i bridged the terminal and cable with the test light, the turbo timer beeped again, and the testlight, instead of a steady light was slowly pulsing.
Could the turbo timer be wired wrong? I used the hks harness, but iirc, you have to ground it. maybe the ground is bad? should i buy a dedicated ammeter, since the multimeter isnt reading anything, but there is definitely current?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Unplug the timer and see if you still get the drain. If you dont plug it back in and see if changing grounding positions changes anything. That would be my best guess on where to start.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Sounds to me like you popped the fuse in your meter. I dont have time to fully answer your question, but try setting the meter up in series with a booster pack, then disconnect the battery ground and perform the key off draw test. See if the turbo timer beeps then.

Also, check out this site. Its my instructor personal site, and he has a good diagram on how to perform a key off draw test. Just throwing the info out there for anyone who might need it....

http://people.morrisville.edu/~makila/keyoffdraw.swf