Overheating, high idle, ect

stickers

Mar 30, 2013
Illinois
OK folks lets pick the supra brainiacs brains for a bit

The Car - 88 turbo. Bought it from a college kid who used it as a daily driver and mechanic practice vehicle. Bad idea but I was excited about finding a turbo supra and was blind to a lot of defects.

Problem 1 - Overheats at idle usually within 10 minutes. Doesn't seem to be a bhg as there's no water in the oil and vice versa. Did a bench test of the 180 degree thermostat, starts opening at 170 fully open at 180. Went for a spin without the thermostat and though the gauge never got above the halfway mark, the coolant was boiling out the overflow tube. Without the thermostat the water flow is quite nice somewhat ruling out the pump.

Problem 2 - Idle speed varies between 1200 and 2400 rpm. It doesn't surge. One time you fire it up and its at 1300 the next time it may be at 2000 and so on. This may be due to the valves being out of adjustment based on the ticking sound around the valve covers.

Problem 3 - May be nothing since I haven't driven the car attaining boost in over 6 months but I've noticed a gurgling sound when you let off the gas after attaining boost, whether its 1 psi or 10 it always gurgles when you release the throttle. I don't remember if this was normal or not but thought it was worth mentioning.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
stickers;2009389 said:
OK folks lets pick the supra brainiacs brains for a bit

The Car - 88 turbo. Bought it from a college kid who used it as a daily driver and mechanic practice vehicle. Bad idea but I was excited about finding a turbo supra and was blind to a lot of defects.

Problem 1 - Overheats at idle usually within 10 minutes. Doesn't seem to be a bhg as there's no water in the oil and vice versa. Did a bench test of the 180 degree thermostat, starts opening at 170 fully open at 180. Went for a spin without the thermostat and though the gauge never got above the halfway mark, the coolant was boiling out the overflow tube. Without the thermostat the water flow is quite nice somewhat ruling out the pump.

Put in the correct 190 degree thermostat. Does the car have a fan clutch? Is it noisy when first started then quiets down?

Problem 2 - Idle speed varies between 1200 and 2400 rpm. It doesn't surge. One time you fire it up and its at 1300 the next time it may be at 2000 and so on. This may be due to the valves being out of adjustment based on the ticking sound around the valve covers.

Where is the throttle cable stop?

Problem 3 - May be nothing since I haven't driven the car attaining boost in over 6 months but I've noticed a gurgling sound when you let off the gas after attaining boost, whether its 1 psi or 10 it always gurgles when you release the throttle. I don't remember if this was normal or not but thought it was worth mentioning.

That is a gas of some sort in your cooling system. Like say, compressed air. Are you following?

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
Check your rad cap...replace it if it is old and see if that helps. If the rad cap is not holding pressure and is leaking at the seals it will most likely start gurgling. It happened on my 92 i just picked up. Rad cap was shot and now that i replaced it and cooling system is holding pressure i found out the hg is blown lol.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
atmperformance;2009957 said:
I vote bhg, do the exhaust gas tester you put on your radiator.

I concur. I had one that had a shot head gasket and exhibited the same overheating symptoms you are getting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
::bhg::::dead horse::::supermario::

Sorry man but I believe you have symptoms of a BHG. Do a compression test, bromothymol blue test, in any order and get back to us with the results.

I'll pray for you...

stickers

Mar 30, 2013
Illinois
Ok to clarify the boost gurgle. Its not a water gurgling sound. More like squeeze the trigger on an air hose and run your fingers through the air stream. Gurgle was the best way I could come up with to describe it.

to answer one of Nick M's questions. Its got electric fans that I hard wired so when the key is on they are too. I didn't like having to remember to flip a switch.

Maybe I'll be able to get under the hood this weekend and have a look see at the rest.

stickers

Mar 30, 2013
Illinois
Exhaust gas test came up blue 3 times.

That's a total of 3 oks looking at the head gasket.

Compression test needed to seal its fate.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Point an IR temp gun at the radiator and see if its getting hot. Probably plugged with crap if it overheats at idle. You can also take the rad cap off and look down the tubes with a light.