overheating and other probs. help.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
ok so i just got my car back from the shop after a long 6 months i had it rebuilt cometic hg arps 3 angle valve job new valve stem seals. new water pump and thermostat no egr valve 1 14 in. electric fan and the 2 small ac fans running also. has a ct26 60 trim running only 5psi stg 2 clutch, all new fluids..
heres the problem i went out crusing tonight for about an hr after 30 mins. the carstarts to get hotter than usual so i pull off and stop let it cool down and the shut it off. after about 30 min i go to leave tried to start the car and it started sputtered and died... so i check the ic pipes to see if i have one loose... no loose pipes tried it again same result after 2 more tries with the same result i finally started it and gave it some gas and drove it away its missing a little but stayed running. and i drove home...
earlier today i was driving along and had to downshift to climb a hill when i noticed my car started to get a little hotter.. but cooled back down but when i went up a steep driveway that was about 200 yrds long it had gotten so hot it was boiling over.... the car doesnt smoke or leak anything and seems to have steady power. does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be from??? :3d_frown:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
clutch fan > electric fan
egr installed helps temps too

maybe pressure being pushed into your system? (improper installation of head?)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Was the block decked? And what RA finish on the block/head decks?
Did you do a re-torque on the head bolts (or studs)?

Might be time to head down to NAPA for a block tester ;)

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
harry at phoenix motorsports did the build i know the head was totally redone and im not sure about the block im pretty sure he had it surfaced too at least i would think... im not sure what the ra was. the engine might have 200 miles on it since rebuild at the most.. and i have a compression tester so i will run the compression numbers and post them also. and what exactly is a block tester? what could cause it to miss like it does? if you hold the throttle steady it will miss like crazy.. with some backfiring between shifts. i called harry and he says he thinks its because my fan isnt cooling enough but that doesnt sound right when the damn thing started to overheat on the interstate at 60mph. but stayed cool while driving at 45mph??? i have 1 14 in. fan and the 2 small ac fans running on the radiator.... he also says that the egr being removed would make it run cooler if anything.i shold not have to be doing this i have had the car out for about 1 wk i think i should take it back to harry and make him fix it..... but im going to put new plug wires and check the compression my self first.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A BHG could cause it to miss like that.

The NAPA Block tester checks for exhaust gas in the radiator.

A compression test is a good idea anyway.

A removed EGR will increase cylinder temps...it will not run cooler. He's wrong.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
im gonna be really pissed off if i have to put my car back in the shop for another friggin who knows how long... hell the car overheated the day i picked it up and drove it home...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Do the compression and block tests 1st...you'll need the ammo to take it back.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Godspeed;1134957 said:
im gonna be really pissed off if i have to put my car back in the shop for another friggin who knows how long... hell the car overheated the day i picked it up and drove it home...

This should have been your first sign. Follow jdubs advice so YOU know what is wrong and the shop cant go telling you different.

Ive had a partially clogged radiator heat up on the highway but return to normal temps in the city, however your other symptoms lead to something else.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
well the radiator had some nasty crap in it from before when the engine was all to hell so thats a possibilty but he said he flushed the radiator out so i dont know for sure..

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
ok so i ran a compression test first test went as follows
cyl.1 131
cyl.2 135
cyl.3 126
cyl.4 115
cyl.5 135
cyl.6 135
so i called the guy who did the engine work he said to add a cap of oil to each cyl. and try it again so i did and here are the results.
cyl.1 161
cyl.2 161
cyl.3 156
cyl.4 155
cyl.5 165
cyl.6 165
according to the haynes manual i have if you add oil and it makes a dramatic difference in the numbers then the rings are bad.. is this corrrect? although if it had bad rings then wouldnt it smoke?? also its still missing even when giving steady throttle i know my plug wires dont fit really snug but would this cause it to miss? if you guys want i can get a small video and upload it so you guys can see and here... thx for the help guys.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
In your case with less than 200 miles on the motor, I'd say the rings are not seated in yet.
Did your builder use Total Seal rings?

Have you checked the timing by chance?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
work your way through the gears and then engine brake back down through the gears...

on side note, id get the block tester first before i did ANY more driving. Pull your oil pan drain plug after it sits over night, if there is water in there it will come out first.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
well i drove it tonight for about 1hr and it was fine never got any where near hot.... alos the whole bottom end was not built at the shop its a stock bottom end. im going to take it to harry on monday and he's gonna check it out and see what he can find out.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i second a block test. or at least dont throw any more money into it until the problem is fixed. its not your doing after all. i think

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
overheating could be caused by a clogged radiator, my car was first over heating when i got it due to BHG... changed the HG and temps still got hot, flushed radiator did new tstat and rad cap. still over heated got a new rad and its been fine since i pulled it for a rebuild at 250k miles..wanted to go performance and didnt want to mod a engine with that many miles is the only reason i pulled it. good luck, let us know what happens

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Godspeed;1135397 said:
well i drove it tonight for about 1hr and it was fine never got any where near hot.... alos the whole bottom end was not built at the shop its a stock bottom end. im going to take it to harry on monday and he's gonna check it out and see what he can find out.

So the bottom end was never touched? Was he pistons ever taken out and put back in? Or were the rings replaced? bearing at least?

I hope he decked the block, for the mhg and didn't just put it on..

Do you have a receipt of everything they did for you, if so can you write that so we can see everything that was performed on your motor.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
no the pistons and rings were never removed he told me the block only had 60 k on it my bro has a rad he will sell me for 75 bux so i guess i will change that too. and do a block test and see what happens.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
In that case, your rings are shot (especially #4). I doubt the machinist decked the block either.

Who

Supramania Contributor
Godspeed;1134957 said:

I know that this doesn't help but you should of turned right around or had the car towed the next day right back to the shop. Good Luck hope you get it resolved.

Last edited:

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
yeah i guess i should have huh? but the car doesnt smoke at all other than the one time i just dont get it.. i'll let you guys know what happens