Overboosting to 15psi..Was at 12psi.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
I was racing a civic the other night, killing him, and started hitting fuel cut.
I had done quite a few hard pulls zipping around before this, and was fine. Then I started fuel cutting, in like every gear the rest of the night.
So I had to wait till this morning with light to figure out what I was boosting to and why I'm hitting fuel cut.
Well, I think part of it is because I'm somehow hitting 15psi?
I couldn't see any visible boost leaks or anything.
Puling a code 34 when I hold it at the fuel cut for a second or two...
Anyone have any ideas as to why it just randomly started doing this?

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
do you have a boost controller? any vacuum leaks? boost leak? watch yourself, your gonna end up with another BHG hitting that high boost on that stock headgasket.

i usually would be more help but im half awake at work today.YAY

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
loki2043 said:
do you have a boost controller? any vacuum leaks? boost leak? watch yourself, your gonna end up with another BHG hitting that high boost on that stock headgasket.

i usually would be more help but im half awake at work today.YAY
No boost controller, no vacuum leaks, holding steady at 21psi at idle
I got ARP's though, it's not necessarily the gasket that was the problem but the torque specs remember? Lets just hope I got the block scraped good enough and the head was surfaced well enough.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Check the wastegate...either the hose going to it is cracked/kinked/etc... or the actuator itself is getting stuck...

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
loki2043 said:
time to port that wastegate. make sure you do it right! ill post link in about 30 minutes

You have one more minute:biglaugh: I was about to do a search for that exact info...apparently its coming to me.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
loki2043 said:
time to port that wastegate. make sure you do it right! ill post link in about 30 minutes

sawbladz said:
You have one more minute:biglaugh: I was about to do a search for that exact info...apparently its coming to me.

You guys are both late!
:)

mkiiina said:
hows the temp been out there recently? remember cooler denser air = more boost.....
It's been getting warmer,
I don't think it's because of the cold air, it was 45-50 that night, and has been warmer during the day when I'm still hitting FC, but it's a good idea.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
shit sorry. the link is on my computer wich is not here. I think it was grimjack who posted the link before to a wrx forum with all the details. ill have it up tomorrow if nobody finds it by then.

Dell67

allimportendsupra
Nov 22, 2006
portland,or
yo,its like this. when you over charge a stock system with a/f somethings got to give, your wast gate is opening,so you can shim the wast can with 1/8" washers ,it will stifin the spring and can work up to 10-12lbs .ok fuel will cut at 14.5Lbs so run 10to 12 with stock head gasket or it wont last.kepp retorking the axhast mani and other gaskets will tend to fail under newer boost loads.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Dell67 said:
yo,its like this. when you over charge a stock system with a/f somethings got to give, your wast gate is opening,so you can shim the wast can with 1/8" washers ,it will stifin the spring and can work up to 10-12lbs .ok fuel will cut at 14.5Lbs so run 10to 12 with stock head gasket or it wont last.kepp retorking the axhast mani and other gaskets will tend to fail under newer boost loads.

ummm....Did you even read. he's not asking that. He's asking why he is getting so high WITHOUT any sort of control of boost.

I would think (like others have stated) that you upgraded ct is over powering your wastegate. but you said it started doing it in the mid night so how the condition of your hose? maybe the wastegate actuator hose craked or something.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
There was a thread on here where someone took the exhaust housing of the CT and ported it and another person was giving them tips on how to do it (you can only remove like 1mm), but I did a quick search, but it didn't come up with the thread i was thinking of... Search on here some, it's around here somewheres...