Outboard Motor Question

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
Anyone here familiar with marine outboard engines. I am getting ready to buy a boat, and I am one step away from doing so. It is used, and i compression tested it. 130 psi in all cylinders, +/- 1-2 psi. Being that it is a 2 stroke, I do not know if this is where it should be. anyone?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
The compression it should have is dependent on the specs of the engine. If you can post up some more info on the engine we can get a better idea. Generally though, it's good when compression is even across the board and 130psi is a reasonable number for some 2-strokes.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Well I'll tell you one thing about boat engines, don't expect to be any safer from BHG's :3d_frown:

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I dont think ive ever seen an outboard engine with a BHG.

What kind of motor is it? Brand, hp, # of cylinders?

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
buy a new boat, less stress for a few yrs at least like I did ...

do you know the 2 best times to own a boat ? the day you buy it, an the day you sell it ....

do you know what boat stands for ?.... Better Off Another Thousand .... specially with a used boat. there worse than sinking ur mony into your supra ....

Will

Who

Supramania Contributor
Wow that's an old model. At least from the 70s or early 80s. The compression sounds good because it is even. Make sure you check the gear lube oil on the lower unit. If its white or foamy than you have water leaking into the lower unit gear box. If the outboard has only been used in freshwater you could probably repair it yourself if you are a motorhead. If the motor has been used in saltwater watch out. Taking apart a lower unit that has been fused together with corrosion and over 20yrs old is near impossible.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
JonoTurbo;1064874 said:
Despite being old, those engines are excellent engines. I had a '79 seahorse 3cyl and it never let me down.

Thats one of the reasons I'm buying it, my best friends dad bought a boat with a 3 cylinder johnson and he swears by them. Even if the engine was bad, which it isnt, I heard it run.... 2 stroke outboards are easy to work on.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
willfish;1064008 said:
buy a new boat, less stress for a few yrs at least like I did ...

do you know the 2 best times to own a boat ? the day you buy it, an the day you sell it ....

do you know what boat stands for ?.... Better Off Another Thousand .... specially with a used boat. there worse than sinking ur mony into your supra ....

Will

its actually "do you know the best 2 times in a boat owners life"