Oregon Speeding Ticket

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Ola Fellow Canadians,

I got a speeding ticket driving through Oregon last week and it's rather hefty ... $427! (fine was for going over 85 but under 100mph on an interstate highway)

Anyways, the trooper gave me this ticket then proceeded to tell me about my optional court appearance, and how if I have a good driving record in BC (which I do), that I can send down a copy of my record and the judge may reduce the fine.

As far as I can tell from the back of the ticket I have 3 options.

1) Pay the ticket in full
2) Appear in court
3) Pay the ticket in full, send my driving record and hope that they reduce the fine.

Has anybody done this before?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Id say appeal it. IDK how it works in oregon but in mass, i go in front of a magistrate, if you can convince him that you dont deserve the ticket, or have a good driving record they often dismiss it. In my case they usually offer a reduced fine, but you still get the insurance surcharge. I appeal the magistrates decision and go in front of the judge. In mass, if the cop who issued the ticket doesnt show your off the hook. If he does, you must plead your case the the judge. worst case scenario you still pay the 427, it cant get any worse than what it already is. Best case scenario your off the hook.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
TobyCat;1156109 said:
I can't drive down from BC to Oregon though to make my court appearance.

Try option #3, its your only option unless you want just pay it all and be done with it.

I would also get on this asap, you're ticket is costing more each day and the dollar slides.

Jeremy

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
TobyCat;1156109 said:
I can't drive down from BC to Oregon though to make my court appearance.

You can fight the ticket via mail. ;) look on the back of the ticket. I JUST finished disputing a ticket from a few weeks ago (although I was in WA) when I got pulled over in my Supra.

I would suggest adding that you were simply keeping up with traffic and say if you were speeding then you agree but you would like the amount reduced....they will most likely do it. I have had a speeding ticket a few times there as well and they did that for me. I would also add a copy of your driving record. If you like, PM me and I will suggest a few things as I have done this a few times already. I go down the the states often. lol

PS: What was the speed limit posted?

Duane

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Don't say you were keeping up with traffic, that's admitting to speeding and alot of judges don't give a shit about the speed of traffic.

Look into deferment.

I've had two speeding tickets deferred.

What that means is, I pay the fine, and if I don't get another ticket (PERIOD) within a year, then the ticket is gone. Completely.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Justin;1156172 said:
Don't say you were keeping up with traffic, that's admitting to speeding and alot of judges don't give a shit about the speed of traffic.

Look into deferment.

I've had two speeding tickets deferred.

What that means is, I pay the fine, and if I don't get another ticket (PERIOD) within a year, then the ticket is gone. Completely.

It might be different for your laws in Oregon but every state has a different set of rules.

I got an exhaust ticket in WA and had to fight it (I did this by mail) and I got off with it. I sent in a picture of my car, including engine bay, and one of the car at the track and told them what i generally built the car for. The reason: Under a certain section of the law it states, (don't have it in front of me) if you have a car that you use for racing or for racing purposes, you are allowed to have exhaust and/or modifications. Interestingly enough, another law states that if the car is over 25 years old, you can do whatever you want with it! :biglaugh:

BOT: If he was keeping up with traffic, everyone else was speeding too right? The chances on getting off are slim to none (with my experience.)

I am simply suggesting what I do and it works pretty well for me, maybe not for all but I have gotten off a few times. :icon_bigg

I will add that if he does what you suggest and he can indeed do what you suggest within the state he received the ticket then I will watch for the outcome.

Duane

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Ended up getting a response from the Lane County Court, with a check for $96 bucks. Just sent in a letter with my driving record (flawless ;)) and got some money back. Hey, can't complain.