Opinions needed on tranny shifter (R154)

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Hi Guys,
I pulled out the tailshaft today as im having the centre bearing changed and balanced.

While I was in the spirit of taking things out I also took out the shifter to have a look inside and I have a few pics I need some expert advice on whether there is a rubber bushing where the particles seem to be, I had a chunk in my finger that I snapped definitely looks like rubber just need to confirm. If it is can I get the part from places other than Toyota or is it Toyota only? (part number would be much appreciated)

Here are the pics.

Also in this next pic, is this little plate meant to have those kind of curved parts or is that bent?

Also when i'm putting it all back in which oil do I need to prep it with? (molybdenum??)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Looks normal, that's probably the old gasket (and old grease) that goes between he plate and the top part of the hole on the shifter (where the bolts go through), yes you can get it from the dealer, but I used some FIPG as it's easier to replace as my shifter always seems to be out for some reason...

Clean it well, regrease, and replace the bushings with the marlin crawler units...

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Replacing the 2 bushings with Marlin Crawler nylon's was one of the best things I have done.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Ok I have found a distributor that can get the "parts" in for me... those two bushings...

What are the part numbers guys? for those two rubber seals, the one that appears to be grinded up and the one thats midway ...?? I've got the bottom plastic yellow bit a new one of those, so that's okay just after the rubber units that you guys normally replace with marlin crawler by which I can then email this store

http://www.snakeracing.com.au/2001/products.html

and have them ordered in for me.

From Shawndude's post in that other thread... are they all I need?
Go to Toyota and order these part numbers:

Green shifter seal #33505-35020 (What's in the pics)
White hard bushing #33548-31010 (Goes on the bottom of the shifter pivot)

It's only couple of bucks, and it does make the tranny shift like brand new again.

I have the White hard bushing that goes on the end... but is there only the green shifter seal? how about that one that's chewed up.. that's a bit higher in the lever ???

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
thanks guys for all the replies I just got the bushing from Toyota, I never knew I was missing the whole green part... and just had the black... that would explain the sloppyness and lots of movement on the shifter if you were to wiggle it while in gear.