Opinion on fuel gauge appreciated

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
My fuel gauge worked fine while it was in the 88 but since I've swapped it into the 87 it hasn't worked. I left the tank from the 87 on so I figured it was just a bad sender. When that tank finally started leaking I put the tank from the 88 on and still no luck. The gauge just sits around a quarter tank wether its full or not. And I'm not a a fan of relying on the warning light.

So I disconnected the sender and the gauge did not drop.
I jumped pin 3 to 4 and the gauge did not raise.
I took the gauge out and did a resistance test on it.
Ig - e 168.9
Ig - u 104.4
U - e 64.8

I know these number aren't spot on, but are thy close enough?

The only thing I can't do rite this minute is test the sender due to the rusted screws that hold it in. I know it worked just fine when I pulled it off the 88 tho. Im stumped, any opinions?

Thanks,
Nick

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Mine does something similar except likes to float around wherever it wants. I can fill it up and the gauge will go to full but when I start driving it around it'll just float around.

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
Well I just tried and tested a second gauge that I had laying around. The resistances are approximately the same as the fitst gauge. Repeated the same test with jumping pin 3 to pin 4 and nothing happened. I see in the tsrm picture for the 'inspection of gauge' that there is a ground somewhere by the sender? I can't remember where it is..

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
I just jumped 3 and 4 again and nothing happened i clipped a test light to the jump wire and grounded it. The test light is super dim and the gas gauge raises. When I ground 4 out by itself the needle drops....

Last edited: