Opinion about rebuilding the bottom end after BHG

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Hi,
I tried searching but didn't really find what I was looking for.
I myself have rebuilt the top end of a non-turbo 7m after a bhg to find that a week later the bottom end took a dive.
My friend has a turbo engine with a bhg and he wants to rebuild only the top end. I explained it to him what happened to me so now we're pulling the whole engine out for a rebuild, but he was still a bit hesitant.
I would like to get some kind of account of rebuilding the top vs bottom vs whole engine after a bhg and the results. Did it last?
My understanding now, after that depressing rebuild I did of just the top end, is that once anything mixes with the oil and passes through the oiling system basically the bearings need to be changed otherwise the bearings are going to be destroyed soon after.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, stories, and facts.
Chris

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree with your decision but tell your friend not to use anything named Felpro. Buy a quality gasket set. DriftMotion's kit is good. You get everything for a good price. Put in a metal headgasket and have the head and blocked decked.

If you don't want to do the block(make sure the front cover is on when it is sent out) at least do the head and get some Emry cloth and smooth down the block along with the front cover.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I would rebuild the whole engine but disagree with the felpro comment. For a stock rebuild a felpro headgasket is just as good as any other brand. A modified turbo should use a MHG as insurance.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends entirely on the BHG. If coolant was getting into the oil and it was like that for some time, the bearings are propbably toast...

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
If you want to solve the BHG for good(maybe) you will need to get a multi-layer steel gasket which requires the head and block to be machined for it to seal correctly. To get the head and block machined, both will need to be disassembled.

It just kind of depends how far you want to go. I'd at the very least check all the bearings for for galling. If they're good then you could probably just clean everything up and stick a OEM composite gasket on without rebuilding. If the motor has a lot of miles on it, it's probably time for a rebuild anyway.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
Poodles;1472605 said:
Depends entirely on the BHG. If coolant was getting into the oil and it was like that for some time, the bearings are propbably toast...

thats correct,

so probably when your head blew the coolent contaminated the bottem end. so you'd have to change the bearings and might as well do a full refresh if you have the time and money.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'll also say felpro sucks ass, I've had to replace quite a few gaskets with dealer items because they suck. The biggest issue was the stupid EGR cooler gasket being paper instead of metalic like stock (BITCH to replace with engine in car)