Ongoing issues with starting

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Read this post first!!! Edited/updated.

Reviving my old thread, here is the problem: Car started before (after rebuild), TPS was bad, replaced and adjusted that. Tested CPS, that was shot, so I replaced that with a known good unit, now it still doesn't start.

I read that if the tach needle jumps, the CPS [signal] is okay, but if it doesn't it's the CPS. Well, I just put a new one in there, adjusted to base timing just to get it running and the needle won't move. Now is it the ECU that's bad, not getting/sending a signal to the CPS? Doesn't throw codes when jumpered either, but it also doesn't blink quick as it should.

This is getting rediculous, I just want to drive my car, it's been about 8 1/2 months now.

**Sorry for the long thread but please take the time to read through it!! Upates at bottom of page two**

I'm at my wits end. My car is an 87, just swapped a "JDM" motor in over the past 8 months. Car started up and idled perfect two weeks ago, but when I would hit the gas it would bog down. I was talking with Bondango and was told it was the TPS, even though it was not throwing a code. After changing TPSes with another that I had and changing the ISCV, it quit starting and hasn't started since. So after waiting for like 2+ weeks for a slow seller, I finally received another TPS today and put it on, adjusted to spec, and car still does not start! (Put good ISCV on too) When it was running I had adjusted timing, it was spot on. Usually after cranking for a while you can smell fuel, but tonight I couldn't smell any at all. I tried jumpering fp and b+ but didn't hear any fuel flowing...isn't it supposed to turn on the fuel pump? All through the night I had been checking codes and not one had been thrown, but it didn't blink fast like it should either. I sort of thought it may be the ECU because one day it threw code 51, and never did again. Another day (when it was running) it threw the knock sensor code but never again, and another day it threw the "no signal from tach" code, but not once again. Now nothing happens and I'm stumped. HELP :1zhelp:

Cliff notes:
Car started and idled fine two weeks ago, hit gas and bogged
Changed TPS/ISCV wouldn't start, hasn't since
Put new (and adjusted) TPS and ISCV on tonight, still won't start
FP and B+ jumpered=couldn't hear fuel flowing/can't smell fuel while cranking
Thrown misc codes over different days only once, never repeated though

Last edited:

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
must be something with wires. Do you hear your fuel pump working?
Have you tried resetting ecu? Take off ground wire from battery and after few min's put it back on, then try. If there's nothing happening that means you could also have power leak somewhere because of those code's...
Have you tried putting your old TPS back in?

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I keep the negitive wire off of the battery when I'm working on it, since I'm still not driving it lol. I couldn't hear the fuel pump working when I jumpered with the diag box, but then again it should be cleaned the grease is all gummed up in it. What would I clean that with, standard electronics cleaner? How would a power leak cause certain codes? I thought maybe the ECU was going out and just randomly spitting out codes. I didn't try putting the old TPS back on yet, but this one is fine. I measured the resistance with no feeler, .50mm, .90mm and at WOT and adjusted it to be within spec for, so it should work...Before when I had it running the ISCV clicked when I turned the car off so I know the one on it is in good working condition as well.

-Chris

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
well you could always disconnect a fuel line for a few secs to see if any fuel is going to the engine, also the knock sensor will make the car drive very poor like there is no acceleration at all. good luck though.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Seems like you've identified a problem that can result in a no start, namely the fuel pump not running.

The grease in the diag box is normal, and is there to keep the contacts from corroding.

When you jumper the fp to B+ WITH THE IGNITION ON the fuel pump must run and you will hear fuel percolating through the rail. The fp terminal is a direct connection to the fuel pump.

1) Confirm you had ignition on when you did the test.

2) Check for 12V on the B+ terminal with ignition on. If no, you will need to diagnose the EFI circuit.

3) If yes to 1 and 2, then the fuel pump is likely bad/seized. If it is seized, it should still draw current, so check that with an ammeter.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
As far as starting and then bogging out, it sounds like the afm is not right, or not plugged in securely...Also- check the multi-wire ground below intake runner #6- that is always a problem area in starting/ running.

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I'm running the VPC on my car, I switched MAP sensors and coilpacks, cleaned the gas off the plugs (from before, it was running rich) still no fire. I'm doing 3p's checklist now, I'll be back with the results. I don't want to put in a fuel pump :-(

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
SevenMKIII said:
I'm running the VPC on my car, I switched MAP sensors and coilpacks, cleaned the gas off the plugs (from before, it was running rich) still no fire. I'm doing 3p's checklist now, I'll be back with the results. I don't want to put in a fuel pump :-(

check the vpc system and replace the fuel pump its a old car might as well replace it

and get back with us

plus its not that hard to do a fuel pump just drop the tank 6 or 7 bolds a few screws and 4 fuel lines dont worry about it its so easy a cave man can do it...

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Haha those commercials are great. I'm just worried about the straps being too rusted or the bolts snapping. I guess I'm headed to one of the vendors for a Walbro 255...But I could still hear fuel being pushed through the rail when I jumpered fp and B+, I think, it was really quiet.

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I'm pretty positive, it was hard to hear the fuel. But after I did that I loosened the nut for the fuel feed line to the FPR and it sprayed out as if it was still under pressure. So I'm sure the fuel pump is working, but why won't it start? I'll try putting the other coilpack back on and test the wires for spark, but those are the fundamentals for a motor; fuel, air and spark. I know I've got air and fuel...Plugs and wires are brand new, coilpacks I figured were both good, but how do you tell if it's bad?

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Fuel pressure at rail - Check

Spark at spark plugs, I just take a spark plug out and place it near the head still connected to the wire, crank the motor and see if a spark jumps, right?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i just take the plug wire off and use a old spark plug and place it on top of the valve cover or anywhere near metal and see if it sparks, in other words, yes you are right.

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Alright sweet, I'll do that tomorrow I was out all night tonight. Good thing I kept both sets of old spark plugs from my motors!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
So you didn't have a TPS code, changed it anyway without diagnostic work, it didn't fix it, you changed it again?

As MDC said, report what you find.

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
How do you check for power to the coilpack from the ECU? Inline spark checker didn't flash once, no power to the spark plugs from either coilpack. Could the ignitor be at fault? I purchased it from someone on the forums. Does the ignitor have to be ground a certain way? I thought I read somewhere that it is grounded through its mounting wings and not through its wiring. Or could there still be the question of problems with the ECU, like no power from it to the coilpack. Help!!