OMG! Shaking CPS wires works! lol

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Haha. I've seen many threads stating that if your car doesn't want to start just get out and shake the CPS wires. And sure enough it worked for me!! lol. Mine is leaking oil through the shaft pretty bad and the wires are not in great shape.

Bought a second CPS from a member here and should get it this week. Hopefully its in better shape than mine. If not I will be rebuilding it soon.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
pln;1409022 said:
The same happened for me 2 weeks ago. Just jerked around the cps wire and I havn´t had problem since.

Perhaps not, but you will...just a matter of time if the wires/connector are bad.

7mgte1988

7M-Runner
Sep 22, 2008
Orlando
SrBigbutt;1408846 said:
Haha. I've seen many threads stating that if your car doesn't want to start just get out and shake the CPS wires. And sure enough it worked for me!! lol. Mine is leaking oil through the shaft pretty bad and the wires are not in great shape.

Bought a second CPS from a member here and should get it this week. Hopefully its in better shape than mine. If not I will be rebuilding it soon.

LOL i remmeber those days but yea if u dont fix it AVOID THE RAILROADS....
Did u inspect the seal in the CPS??and cps might not be bad just replace the wires..

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
7mgte1988;1409157 said:
LOL i remmeber those days but yea if u dont fix it AVOID THE RAILROADS....
Did u inspect the seal in the CPS??and cps might not be bad just replace the wires..

Haha. I work right next to Railroads!!! I haven't inspected the seal inside the CPS. I've replaced the O-ring. How do you inspect the seal? All I know is that the inside keeps filling with oil.

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
check the connectors and see if theyre bad. if they are jus replace em either with new toyota connectors or gm weatherpack ones. its just old age. it happend to mine and i rewired it and its been fine ever since

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
iceberg319;1409233 said:
check the connectors and see if theyre bad. if they are jus replace em either with new toyota connectors or gm weatherpack ones. its just old age. it happend to mine and i rewired it and its been fine ever since

The connectors aren't in great shape, but I don't think thats the problem. The wires that go into the CPS are really hard and when you touch it when the car is running it stalls or hesitates.

7mgte1988

7M-Runner
Sep 22, 2008
Orlando
SrBigbutt;1409230 said:
Haha. I work right next to Railroads!!! I haven't inspected the seal inside the CPS. I've replaced the O-ring. How do you inspect the seal? All I know is that the inside keeps filling with oil.

Yea did u install it correctly if so u should be good if not when u get your other CPS u may have the same problem...

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I hope you guys DO know you are shooting your self in the foot.

Bad wires = Bad timing possibly by giving a skued signal.

You need to fix that asap... another reason why i hate 7m.. stupid cps never works .

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Zazzn;1409364 said:
You need to fix that asap... another reason why i hate 7m.. stupid cps never works .

Might apply to a guy who doesn't understand how it functions...works great for me ;)

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Zazzn;1409364 said:
I hope you guys DO know you are shooting your self in the foot.

Bad wires = Bad timing possibly by giving a skued signal.

Beleive me I know!! I hate bad wiring just as much as I do oil leaks!! Thats why I'm getting another CPS. I don't want to mess up my one and only one.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Label/mark the wires and splice in/solder a new set of connectors/pigtails. Only 1 side of the connection is available from Toyota (pigtails are additional) and I think it cost me over $10 when I did it years ago. Both sides of the plastic connector are needed, because sometimes the wires aren't making contact within the old broken/brittle ones.

Problem is, the only way to get the connector/wiring for the CPS side of the connection, is to buy a new CPS. F that!

So, I labeled the wires and soldered in some fresh wiring as far as I could go. At the time, I just used spade connectors. I didn't invest in weatherpack connectors, because I was waiting on a new engine harness.

7mgte1988

7M-Runner
Sep 22, 2008
Orlando
Satan;1409584 said:
Label/mark the wires and splice in/solder a new set of connectors/pigtails. Only 1 side of the connection is available from Toyota (pigtails are additional) and I think it cost me over $10 when I did it years ago. Both sides of the plastic connector are needed, because sometimes the wires aren't making contact within the old broken/brittle ones.

Problem is, the only way to get the connector/wiring for the CPS side of the connection, is to buy a new CPS. F that!

So, I labeled the wires and soldered in some fresh wiring as far as I could go. At the time, I just used spade connectors. I didn't invest in weatherpack connectors, because I was waiting on a new engine harness.

I AGREE i also soldered some from a nonturbo to a turbo and it ran good...
How much did u spend on the other CPS SRBB??

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
7mgte1988;1409624 said:
I AGREE i also soldered some from a nonturbo to a turbo and it ran good...
How much did u spend on the other CPS SRBB??

I paid $35. So it wasn't to bad. But i'm not expecting it to be in perfect shape. But still may be better than mine and it will allow me to rebuild if necessary.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
had the same problem couple of weeks back, it wouldnt start and it ticked me off, popped the hood, shook CPS wires, and booM! started right up.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Got my new to me CPS and it seems to be in pretty good shape. The pigtail is in better shape. Wires are still hard. Inside doesn't show signs of oil.

So I swapped it with mine and it seems to be running a little better. Smoother idle and so far no oil leaks!! Hope it stays that way.