ok big problem now

Mar 22, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
I made a thread earlier about which gas is best used. well i used 93 last night and i felt a bad difference, just now i started my car, i put my foot on the clutch and its so damn soft, when i shifted to reverse, it was hard as hell, took alot of force to put it into reverse, same to first and 2nd. whats going on? is it better for me to fill the other half with 87, but i dont think gas is good when its mixed like that....

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Maybe its just me, but i cant see how putting 93 octane would effect your transmission. I would start checking other things....

Slave cylinder?

Put it into third before going to reverse and see how it goes....

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
The octane rating of the gas you use has nothing to do with the clutch characteristics. It sounds like your clutch hydraulics are having problems at this point. Its just coincidence. Start by checking the clutch pedal freeplay, and the master and slave cylinders.
edit, oops, s383 beat me to it!

Mar 22, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
i dont know, i use 87 all the time on the car, then when i used 93, in that particular moment, things started feeling different about the car, the clutch got soft, my turbo wasnt really kickin, it happened right after i put in the 93

*edited*

yeah ill start checkin that, its just ironic that it happened like that.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MK_to_the_3rd said:
i dont know, i use 87 all the time on the car, then when i used 93, in that particular moment, things started feeling different about the car, the clutch got soft, my turbo wasnt really kickin, it happened right after i put in the 93

*edited*

yeah ill start checkin that, its just ironic that it happened like that.

So what. Did your 93 cause the gouge in the space shuttle too? Because they have just as much in common. Unless you put that 93 in the hydraulic resevoir.

Mar 22, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
im just overreacting because i mentioned this problem to my mechanic about it before because i noticed the the pressure in the clutch was to soft, but drivable.

my bad im an amateur at this stuff, when something happens right after you try something new, of course you'll assume it was the cause until proven wrong and i did get proven wrong, but the smart remark was uncalled for.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
MK_to_the_3rd said:
im just overreacting because i mentioned this problem to my mechanic about it before because i noticed the the pressure in the clutch was to soft, but drivable.

my bad im an amateur at this stuff, when something happens right after you try something new, of course you'll assume it was the cause until proven wrong and i did get proven wrong, but the smart remark was uncalled for.

it happens, more often than it should but it happens.

what gas have you been useing?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MK_to_the_3rd said:

Everybody is human.

However, when trying to diagnose something, don't do this.

A happened, then B happened, therefore, A must have caused B. It is flawed logic. Just look at the people here that try to fix their own car, then come running for help because it is screwed up worse than when they started.

Mar 22, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
ok i just figured it out now. i never knew brake fluid and clutch fluid is about the same, the reservoir that i thought was empty was the BRAKE fluid cus it said brake on it but the reservoir to me looked funny. so now i know why, cus it is the clutch fluid and its empty. sorry for my noobness =D

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Questionable Cause (actually Post Hoc fallacy in this case) is but one of several logical fallacies that can occur to those inexperienced at daignostics. Many people will claim good diagnostic abilities only come with experience but it's not true. They can be taught. I know, in a younger day I used to do it. There are lots of firms that do nothing but teach logical troubleshooting. Here's one. Interestingly, he uses engine overheating as an example. Since he's not a mechanic he's confused about a few things but his approach is valid: http://tinyurl.com/c8nfq

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It wouldn't kill these people to read the autoshop pages, and at least learn how the different systems are supposed to work. Then when it doesn't they know what to look for.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I agree. Autoshop is a valuable resource from a technical standpoint but it will not teach diagnostic skills. Those are separate and require at minimum common sense, something that unfortunately seems to be lacking in many people.