oil temp for the 1jzgte

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
jdub;1377222 said:
Personally, I think the oil/coolant circuit is inadequate for a turbo motor on a stock size radiator. It's likely your coolant system is fine (assuming you're not overheating), but the additional oil thermal load is exceeding radiator thermal capacity. I run an auto tranny and switched the ATF cooler from the radiator to an oil/air cooler for this exact reason.

T-stat wise, you want to run a stock temp stat, either OEM or a Stant Superstat. For where you live, you can use a 180 deg stat, but do not go any lower. Test the stat in a pot of boiling water for correct opening temp and remove the jiggle valve before you install.

When you stated ATF cooler, were you referencing to the stock hydrofan cooler that is suppose to be in line under the radiator(long hard line w/fins)?
The reason I am asking is that it was not installed during the swap, however I do still have it. also, I do have 2 7M coolers( little mini radiators) that I could install. would one ore both of these be sufficient?
At what temperature should the small electrical fan on the front of the radiatir kick in? I noticed that it is wired into the hydrofan temp sensor. I have not yet gone out and brought the temp up yet to see if it is operating. If the car is getting too warm, should that be running once the car is shut off until the temp drops? I never notice it running after shutting the car off.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Auto tranny...on a stock A340E set-up the ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is cooled by the radiator.

From what I know about the 1JZ hydrofan, the cooler is necessary. It makes sense that not using one will increase the radiator thermal load as well.

The 7M oil coolers are adequate, but not at the top of my list...they make a good power steering cooler though ;) A B&M cooler (as big as you can fit) using an oil T-stat for flow control is a much better choice.

You're talking about the condenser fan...from memory (and if it's the same as the 7M) it comes on at ~100 deg C. It does not continue to run once the ignition is shut off.

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
jdub;1377235 said:
Auto tranny...on a stock A340E set-up the ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is cooled by the radiator.

From what I know about the 1JZ hydrofan, the cooler is necessary. It makes sense that not using one will increase the radiator thermal load as well.

The 7M oil coolers are adequate, but not at the top of my list...they make a good power steering cooler though ;) A B&M cooler (as big as you can fit) using an oil T-stat for flow control is a much better choice.

You're talking about the condenser fan...from memory (and if it's the same as the 7M) it comes on at ~100 deg C. It does not continue to run once the ignition is shut off.

O.K., so, part of the problem is not installing the hydrofan cooler and my mix. How many degrees drop would installing the stock cooler be? Only reason I want to use it is that I already have it. Is there a big difference in temp from that vs the B&M?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Efficiency wise, a big difference...the 7M oil cooler is adequate at best for a stock motor. It is better than nothing though. Keep in mind the whole purpose of an oil cooler is to keep the oil at 100 deg C (it's spec'ed ops temp)...when temps go higher than this, oil viscosity drops pretty rapidly...lower temps and the oil is too thick and restricts flow to the bearings.

Here's a thread on installing a full flow, T-stat controlled cooler circuit:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62838

It's for a 7M, but is easily adapted to a lot of different motors.

There's all kind of info in the Lube section on oil as well...the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig is a good read too (might open your eyes a bit) ;)

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
jdub;1377262 said:
Efficiency wise, a big difference...the 7M oil cooler is adequate at best for a stock motor. It is better than nothing though. Keep in mind the whole purpose of an oil cooler is to keep the oil at 100 deg C (it's spec'ed ops temp)...when temps go higher than this, oil viscosity drops pretty rapidly.

Sounds like the B&M oil cooler is the way I need to go. Where can I find a write up on the install including the oil thermostat? something with a pic diagram with the suggested placement and best routing.
doing a SM search now.
thanks, this is very helpful info.

Last edited:

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
jdub;1377276 said:
Previous post...I anticipated the question ;)

HA,HA! just for the sake of discussion what if I used both of the 7m coolers and an oil T-stat? would using both have any efficiecny? I have the Demon front end, so theoreticly they could be placed in the large oversized openings where the driving lights are suppose to go. If you can't tell, money is a little tight right now and the flexalites I saw are running up to $200.00.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you use 2 coolers make sure they are plumbed in parallel with the T-stat in the same part of the circuit feeding both coolers. I would swap out the oil cooler before going with electric radiator fans.

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
jdub;1377311 said:
If you use 2 coolers make sure they are plumbed in parallel with the T-stat in the same part of the circuit feeding both coolers. I would swap out the oil cooler before going with electric radiator fans.

Thanks again. So in other words run the output line from the T-stat to 1 cooler then the output from that cooler to the input of cooler#2 then from that cooler back to the T-atat?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nope...you described a series connection. Connect the coolers together with a line in between and a "T" in the middle of each line. Connect the output line from the T-stat to one T and the return to the other T. This will feed both coolers at the same time.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Divin' Devin;1377317 said:
Thanks again. So in other words run the output line from the T-stat to 1 cooler then the output from that cooler to the input of cooler#2 then from that cooler back to the T-atat?

Was your power steering cooler uninstalled during the swap too? does your hydrofan operates at different speeds or just one? 1jz cars dont have the smaller fan. Its just one big hydrofan, you need to examine your fan set up, it doesnt sound right, with the small fan wired into the hydrofan temp. sender. Pics would help alot.

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
jdub;1377321 said:
Nope...you described a series connection. Connect the coolers together with a line in between and a "T" in the middle of each line. Connect the output line from the T-stat to one T and the return to the other T. This will feed both coolers at the same time.

cool thanks!

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
Pernilongo;1377325 said:
Was your power steering cooler uninstalled during the swap too? does your hydrofan operates at different speeds or just one? 1jz cars dont have the smaller fan. Its just one big hydrofan, you need to examine your fan set up, it doesnt sound right, with the small fan wired into the hydrofan temp. sender. Pics would help alot.

The condensor fan from the ma70 chasis was reinstalled and the sensors were tied in. I'll try to post some pics later. I was just out in the car and it does kick on.