Oil temp and and oil line routing

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Hey guys. I seem to be having an issue with my oil temps lately on my 7m. Just a little bit of info on my setup first. stock rebuilt ct at 12psi. I have my Innovate oil temp and pressure sensors between the block, in a sandwich adapter, and my oil filter relocation kit. no longer have the factory oil filter housing. I have a derale oil t stat and a 13 row 7 1/2 inch x 11 1/2 inch oil cooler with -10an lines. and running about 80psi of oil pressure at 3k highway speed with fully warmed up motor. shimmed dm highperformance pump at 5mm, azperformance oil supply kit, and rebuilt motor.

The issue i am having is when i am on the highway at above 2.5k and 3k (cruising speed) i see my oil temps just start increasing on my gauge. I can let off the gas at go back to below 2.5 and i would see the oil start cooling off. but when i get back up to speed, it starts getting really hot again. Gradually, it has been getting worse and saw temps at 250 recently. the oil i am using is castrol dino oil 10-30. i have only about 7k on the motor.

I talked to my machinist and he is thinking that it is because i am using this type of adapter http://derale.com/products/filtration/engine2013-10-28-09-53-27459934969/spin-on-adapters/premium-high-output-rad-fan-mounting-kit-with-ratcheting-brackets-and-nylon-rods-and-clips-detail and its slowing down the flow of oil to the cooler.

i wanted to see your guys thoughts on this before i redo everything again. thanks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
80psi of pressure is too much. You could have a block in the system or have the lines hooked up backwards.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
80 psi seems high on a stock build motor. Tsrm specs are up to 71 at 3k rpms. You may have a restriction somewhere.

I can't tell by your description, but are the sensors after the cooler, or before?

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Well from the aftermarket gauge, which is in a sandwich plate between the block and the oil filter adapter, it's reading 80psi. Stock gauge is at about 40-50PS psi with new sender.

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Any update on this? Interested to find out as I would run a similar set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I wouldnt use that adapter to run a filter off one side and a cooler off the other. From the looks of it there isnt nothing forcing all the oil threw the filter before it goes to the motor.

It appears that the oil will go either direction to the cooler OR the filter. Usually itll go with least restriction. Id remove that adapter and get a standard two port adapter. Then run your line from the block to the filter, then to the cooler, then back to the block that was ALL the oil HAS to go threw the filter. It will also force ALL oil threw the cooler.

Pressure sounds high but you have an upgraded pump, temps definatly seem high. I run no cooler on my 2J and i rarely see them crack 210 even at 65-70 with no overdrive spinnin 3500rpm.