Oil smell when boosting what could it be?

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Hello all,

My Supra is losing oil and I can't seem to figure out where it's going.

It pulls 21 inches of vacuum at idle (I didnt change the rings when doing the bottom end), I have no boost leaks running 9 lbs of boost, I get no blue smoke out of the tail pipe. The car runs generally lean, but the o2 sensor is working and switching the VF signal back and forth. I'm pretty sure that I have an exhaust leak, because I can hear the turbo under the hood very loudly. The engine is not visibly leaking anywhere and it has about 10k miles on a stock HG installed properly. The only sign of an oil leak that I can see is my heat shields; they are completely brown and have been for quite some time. I've seen other supras with CT-26's and they still have that gray coloration. I'm running German Castrol with a Napa Gold Filter (WIX).

My thinking is that it would either be excessive blow-by under boost or bad turbo seals. Whatever it is, I've lost enough oil quick enough to have rodknock, again after 5k miles. I'm at a loss over what to do. Would it be bad to grind the crank again? (.020 under) and just use matching bearings? (This time I'd do it with an MHG and new rings). Doing this though would not end my worry of losing oil and having to kick myself when I hear the knocking again.

Thanks in advance.
Shawn

EDIT: Added more information and reformatted post.

Last edited:

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
So I did a compression test dry and then wet. I have horrid compression on five out of six cylinders. *Kicks self* The fifth was the only one to survive. So now I have to rip it apart again. Shoulda done it right the first time.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
1988SupraDreams;1137642 said:
So I did a compression test dry and then wet. I have horrid compression on five out of six cylinders. *Kicks self* The fifth was the only one to survive. So now I have to rip it apart again. Shoulda done it right the first time.

that'll learn ya!