Oil pump line threads / Driftmotion braided hose.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I'm puzzled.

I got a Driftmotion braided SS line for the oil pump tot he block from someone who won't be using it, but it wasn't quite complete. The adapter from the oil pump to the line was missing, and the other adapter wouldn't thread in on either block or oil pump side.

The adapter that I have is 16mm(?) to -8AN. This just does not work.

So... I went to my local Princess Auto in order to see what I needed. I brought the factory line that I pulled out of the block, and the braided SS line. They have a bunch of stuff for hydraulic lines, and I wanted to see if they had adapters which would fit.

One adapter marked 18mm - 1/2 JIC MM seemed to do the trick for the oil pump side. I could not find a corresponding 18mm F fitting to test the banjo bolt in, but the threads match up perfectly with this fitting and the diameters are the same. (Will test by finger threading it into the oil pump before I do anything else.)

I was unable to find anything that matches the block side at all in the metric bins.

So... I started looking at other stuff. The 16mm thread looked similar, so I tried a 3/8 NPT fitting. Pipe threads are kind of weird, so I found a female fitting and tried the factory line into it. It fit fine.

Does this seem really weird to people that an imperial pipe thread is the correct thread for the block? I know that Aaron has the one fitting indicated that it is a pipe thread, but I assumed that it would be a metric sized one.

The irony... The metric fitting was in stock, but the 3/8 NPT - 1/2 JIC MM fitting bin was completely empty. I could have got one with a 90 degree adapter on it, but that doesn't really help.

One thing that I did notice though is that the adapter fittings to the 1/2 JIC (Which seems to correspond with the -8AN) openings aren't spectacularly large, Looking at the banjo bolt, I'm thinking that it's probably just as good as far as allowing flow, though the turbulent flow around the banjo fitting might not be ideal, I wouldn't think that it would pose that big a restriction. I don't see this fitting as being that significant an upgrade for oil pressure, but nor can I see it being a downgrade.