Oil Pump drive shaft doesn't fit.

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just changed oil pump drive shaft bearings; big problem. The oil pump drive shaft would not go in. If anyone could point me in the right direction or give me some good advice. Searched but have not found the answer to solve problem.

Thanks, amateur engine builder

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
That is a common problem. You have to either remove material off the bearings or off the shaft. The better option is to measure both and see how much material you need removed, and have the shaft turned on a lathe to the correct size, but the easier way to do it is to cut the bearings down. I used some sand paper and a scotch brite pad to take the inner diameter of the bearing down until the shaft fit and rotated smoothly. Those bearings dont take a whole lot of load, so you can get away with sanding them down, just make sure you give the block a good cleaning afterwards

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
CyFi6;1605933 said:
That is a common problem. You have to either remove material off the bearings or off the shaft. The better option is to measure both and see how much material you need removed, and have the shaft turned on a lathe to the correct size, but the easier way to do it is to cut the bearings down. I used some sand paper and a scotch brite pad to take the inner diameter of the bearing down until the shaft fit and rotated smoothly. Those bearings dont take a whole lot of load, so you can get away with sanding them down, just make sure you give the block a good cleaning afterwards

You can do it this way, but not reccomended if your new at building and understanding how much to
take off when sanding etc, This process is extremely critical in your build and could destroy your whole motor if its not done right...

If the motor is out of the car just take it to your machine shop and let them install the bearings
and drive shaft, my machine shop did it for $40 and took them 10-15mins.

$40 vs another $2000 rebuild is always a win in my book.

Again,

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Nearly All OEM toyota oil shaft bearings are over sized and need to be cut down for the shaft to fit. I made a tool to do this from an old oil shaft. Just treat the bearings as if they was a piston bore. Hone or bore them to size, don't do it by hand as it will be out of round at best. Dura bond bearings I have better luck with being closer to correct size right out of the box.

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Thanks Guys for the responses.

Have already installed bearings myself. Do you think a machine shop would be willing to install shaft? Last machine shop was not to interested in helping when they found out I was doing most of the work myself, although I was willing to pay.

Is there a way to scrape bearings and keep them round? Is there some kind of tool out there I can purchase?

CYFi6, with your method, did you ever have any issues afterwards? something a newbie might need to pay attention too.

Thanks,

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
No issues, but i only have about 5k miles on the engine so far (good oil pressure though). I actually found that with the new bearing pressed into the block it wasn't perfectly round to begin with. I was able to push the shaft into it and rotate it around, and wherever the bearing was left shiny is where i started to remove material, and just worked it slowly until the shaft fit nicely and rotated smoothly without much drag. That is just my opinion though, the way suprarich explained is the proper way to do it. Are my bearings perfectly round? Probably not... Does it matter? Probably not... seeing as how they dont bear a huge amount of load anyways. The main idea is to keep the clearances tight for oil pressure, any loose clearance in the engine is going to be a place for too much oil flow and low idle oil pressure. Also like people mentioned, if you do end up doing this, use a very high grit sandpaper, or simpler, just use a scotch brite pad and work very slowly so you dont remove too much.

Also, make 100% sure your oil holes are lined up, stick a piece of welding wire or coat hanger through the oil hole in the main bearing saddle and make sure it goes all the way through.

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
took I6boost advice and found a machine shop to go to. Larry the machinist told me it would be easier and cheaper to remove bearings and just put new bearings in that fit without any extra work. He used dura-bond bearing and BAM!!!!!!! all is good to go. plus also found a guy who is willing to teach me something. Thanks for help guys!!!!!! Price tag 60 bucks including bearings.