Oil Pressure low

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
The other night i noticed that at idle i was burning a little oil and the oil pressure was a little low. i checked the oil level and it was acceptable level but i did add a little bit more. After i did this my oil pressure went back to normal. i drove a bout 60 miles that day and now my oil pressure low again. check the oil level and its the same level as when i added oil. Im not sure what going on and i would like any help thanks.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you are looking at the stock oil gauge, forget about it. The stock gauge is not accurate enough to worry about low oil pressure. If you are really concerned, get a good aftermarket gauge or hook up a mechanical oil gauge.

Honestly, you're worries would be better utilized dozens of other places on the car. Make sure your oil level is ok, repair any oil leaks, and pay attention to your oil and coolant consumption. If your pressure is low due to a worn engine, then maybe saving up for the rebuild you'll eventually need is a good idea.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
In order to install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge u need an adapter were the stock sensor goes. Driftmotion sell a nice stainless steel braided adapter/extension for that aftermarket sensor. Good luck and maintenance on that Toyota is a MUST. By the way burning oil at IDLE 99.9% of the time are bad valve stem seals. How many miles on that supra?

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
i have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. but today while i was driving home i noticed that oil pressure was fine until i got into boost then it dropped. what does that mean?

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
A little more info on the oil pressure gauge set up would cleat out some questions? LIke what brand were is it hook up at etc etc?