Oil Pressure Clarification

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Just breaking in this fresh head. May have a couple hundred miles on it. I am not sure if I noticed how much oil pressure this motor had before this. But idling seems normal a little bit over zero. Highway driving doesn't. its a little bit over the first mark. There is a hose right by the oil cap that goes south between the intake manifold and the alternator. I don't want this to sound stupid, but I'm not exactly sure where it goes.

I am concerned with how its placed. It's like mashed between the alternator and intake. It seems odd to me, because it is the only place it can really go. I just wasn't sure how much oil flows through here, and its causing a flowing issue.

Also I have changed my oil like 3 times, and the last time I wasn't sure what weight oil I used because I'm going to change it again in the next couple days. I have spent a lot of time on here today searching, and it seems weight really has to do with pressure. But I wasn't sure if it was drastic enough to keep me away from the 40 mark.

Sorry so lengthy. Appreciate any help.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Hmm...thats low like mine was. Turned out to be worn bottom end & needs bearings replacement.

The hose you're decribing sounds like its where it should be.

You can try changing out the oil cooler pressure relief valve, but personally, i'd vote for bearings being worn to shit.

Get a proper oil pressure gauge on there (remove the gauge sender, plug it in there), if it's registering less than 4.3psi at idle - you've got problems.

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
uh oh....I think this is the pressure issue my dad loves to talk about.

If you freshen up a top end, and your bottom is weak it'll blow. Idk how much water this statement hold. But does it make sense that the tops pressure has killed the bottom causing poor pressure?

Also does this have to do with antifreeze getting in the oil and eating those bearings since the head rebuild?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
cinciguy89turbo;1470687 said:
uh oh....I think this is the pressure issue my dad loves to talk about.

If you freshen up a top end, and your bottom is weak it'll blow. Idk how much water this statement hold. But does it make sense that the tops pressure has killed the bottom causing poor pressure?

Also does this have to do with antifreeze getting in the oil and eating those bearings since the head rebuild?

I haven't heard that saying, but usually if the top end needs work, the bottom end is in similar condition and needs attention too.
The only reason I'd think coolant eating bearings is if the engine was run with milkshake oil- it shreds bearings quick.

Start with a good quality oil pressure gauge setup and see what kind of pressure you're running at idle (more than 4.3psi) and at 3000 rpm (36-71psi). Be careful with removing the oil pressure sender, it's easily damaged. Good luck!

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
toyotanos;1470714 said:
I haven't heard that saying, but usually if the top end needs work, the bottom end is in similar condition and needs attention too.
The only reason I'd think coolant eating bearings is if the engine was run with milkshake oil- it shreds bearings quick.

!

^^^This makes me feel better. I dropped the valve in the cylinder. The head was fine just freshened it up. I'm sure we all remember that thread.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Doubt the gauge first. Swap the sender for a known good one or connect a mechanical gauge. The old saying your Dad spoke of pertains mainly to the rings - the increased vacuum from a rebuilt head will supposedly allow for more vacuum and suck oil past the old worn rings.