Oil on 5th and 6th

morbid1

Aug 27, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hey guys,

I have a 1990 Supra Turbo Targa that I bought last summer w/ 50k original miles on it. It has the stock 7mgte engine and this is my first of many issues I need to resolve.
I havent been on the forum much lately because Im in Iraq but Im getting ready to come home in a couple weeks and I'll be able to do some work on my car. First thing I need to do is investigate an issue and try to resolve it before it becomes an even bigger problem. I switched to iridium spark plugs right before I deployed and while removing the old plugs I noticed there was oil on the plugs in the 5th and 6th cylinders (the 2 closest to the dash). I had seen oil on top of the engine before but just figured it was from where the previous owner had spilled while adding a quart or something. I'll be tackling this issue first when I get home. Im wondering what you guys think it could be and where you would start looking first. I've been told from some buddies here in Iraq it could be anything from a bad head gasket to a bad valve seal and everything between and that I'll need to do a compression test first. Is this sound advice? Does anyone else have any more seasoned input? thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Im assuming oil on the outside like on plug wires too???

That would be either valve cover gaskets or the 14mm hex bolts on that hold the center piece to the head that the wires sit on. Both of those will leak oil in the plug valley.

If its inside the cylinder its rings, valve stem seals, or hg. Usually you wont be able to pull a plug and have it soaked in oil from inside the cylinder.