Oil odd color/smell

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
After redoing my oiling system and driving about 400 miles i drained a quart of oil out because i had overfilled it somewhat. After draining the oil seemed much darker than redline oil should be after only 400 miles... And smelt very much so like gas.

Loosing coolant.... Gurglin under dash etc. I know this all points to a blown head but only 20k on redone head. 6 mo ago checked compression and all checked out...

Seems i need to check it again. Oil doesnt look the same as it did before head job. however that was on a non synthetic oil.

Go ahead and confirm my worst fear

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Any oil (including Red Line) will darken...the gasoline smell, different story.

Instead of guessing, send an oil sample to Blackstone:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

If you suspect a BHG, get a Napa Block Tester and check for exhaust gasses in the cooling system.

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
did compression check

While checking compression i noticed white smoke coming from intake pipe that runs over top of engine. Only happend while starting it during the check. What does that mean?

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
plug hole number 3?

White smoke comes out from that hose during the compression test.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
Only cranking, with engine at operating temperature. Cant exactly start it like this since the ignition coil is off for the compression test ;)

Sorry why i did up the picture so there wasnt ne confusion ;)

What im thinking...

Has to be a bad seal in the turbo. Crank engine Water pump moves pushing coolant into turbo coming in contact with hot parts and then i get the white smoke from the accordian hose. Don't imagine it could be coming from the engine since the 3000 pipe and ign coil are removed.

But im also not a mechanic soo wanted to get an opinion before i put a diff turbo on