Oil level?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
So I have this leak. I'm pretty sure it is my front main seal since I've already changed my front cam seals. So I need to get just the fmseal and install it. I know how to do it. My problem is that I don't want to change my oil, or drain all my oil, to do it. If I jack up the front of my car as high as my jack will go, will the oil still drain out when I crack open the front main seal? I should be fine right?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya a little oil will come out but not much. If oil pours out your engine is way overfilled.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Ya. Ok great. I better get a seal ordered now. Thanks. And my plan is to take off the front pulley by using a big socket/bar extension. Put it under the frame and crank the engine. But I need to disconnect the ignition. I guess unplug the coilpack?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
pull the EFI fuse from the fuse block. Set the breaker bar on the floor or on the top of the frame rail (engine turns clockwise). And just flick the key, you just want to tap the starter rather than crank it, it wont take much to break the bolt loose.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I don't think I could fit my impact wrench in there without draining all my coolant and removing the rad. I've done the starter break method on a 22RE once so I know it works. EFI fuse. Right. Got it. Thanks.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
You need a RIF bar :icon_razz

(Resistance Is Futile)

I used a breaker bar with a 6' section of pipe. Emergency brake + in gear held enough that that worked fine for me.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
planemos;1864248 said:
My plans was to duplicate the crank and break method in reverse. Not sure how close it will be to 195 ft-lbs though.

That would be impossible, and dangerous if it were possible. You are going to have to somehow lock the crank from turning and torque the bolt to specs with a quality torque wrench. I have a manual transmission, so I put it in 5th and have a friend hold the brakes while I torque it. It is imperative that you torque the bolt properly for the reasons 3p already stated.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Oh ya. You're right. It only cranks 1 way lol. Okay I will have to borrow a big torque wrench to complete this job. Thanks for this help I might have overlooked some of these things.