Oil in CT12a turbos

prjct_318i

Apr 12, 2011
Thornton, CO
Hopefully someone here can validate my theory so I can move on...

When I was changing the water pump in my 1JZ swap (2jz water pump) I pulled the compressor outlet piping off the front CT12a turbo and found oil in the pipe. I found a little oil in the exhaust valve cover to intake piping. Shaft play "felt" excessive. I assumed the front turbo was shot.

Fast forward - I found a set of twins in good shape and swapped the turbos. The new ones had less play and no oil in the turbos. Turbos are installed, all is well.

Question:
When I pulled the turbos, a few ounces of oil came out of the front turbo and a few drips came out of the rear. I measured shaft play using a dial indicator and it was in spec. I presume the oil seals are just shot in both turbos???

Can oil get into the turbos during shipment or some other process? I don't see how the front turbo could spool sitting in 2-3 ounces of oil...

Did I miss a problem and I am going to ruin the next set of turbos???

I am replacing the PCV valve, but it appears the old one was working and it was the newer metal style PCV valve (on newer generation 1jz).

prjct_318i

Apr 12, 2011
Thornton, CO
FYI - I confirmed the engine had a good working PCV valve (already was the newer style). I did replace it anyway with another 2J steel unit.

Someone gave me the possible scenario that the engine was tipped on its side during removal, shipping or storage. This allowed oil to come up the drain pipe and settle in the compressor housing over time???

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
When i got my engine both turbos were FULL of oil (compressor housings). I just figured the motor was on its side at one time, as there is no way it was running that way, before it was pulled. And the oil pan was still full of oil.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My front turbo was full of oil. IDk why yet. Going to pull pan this weekend but i dont think there is oil in the pan.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Really. Never knew that. Thats good cause it had me worried i was going to blow smoke instantly lol.