Oil filter Options

91blksupra

Jun 12, 2010
Lancaster CA
Hey guys, just wondering if i can run a bigger size oil filter on the GE without a relocation kit and if so what kinda options do i have? Lastly, is it wise to (advantages/disadvantages)?:1zhelp:

91blksupra

Jun 12, 2010
Lancaster CA
After some research i found that that the thread size is standard SAE 3/4x16 the only difference is that the length can be larger 4.7-4.9inchs; the width is 2.98. So does the GE have clearance to fit the longer length?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The old long time Ford small block filter fits the threads, but I don't know how much space you have on the GE. The Ford number is FL1A, so you would cross refrence that. And if you find the better filter, you might find it in a larger capacity that fits.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The non turbo filter has always been bigger. you must be using the one thats standard on GTE's and all other yota like the camery. The 51515 is huge and i noticed actually noticed a drop in oil pressure cause it flows more oil.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
91blksupra;1596386 said:
so can someone explain By-Pass Valve Setting in regards to PSI ?

When the difference in pressure *across* the filter media exceeds the bypass valve rating it will open, allowing oil to bypass the media. That can happen for reasons other than the media becoming restricted. And a larger filter does nothing except increase holding capacity...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Only 86-87 7M-GE's had larger filters than the 7M-GTE, after that they all went to the smaller, updated design. Toyota no longer sells the larger filters, and they were not better in any way, the 7M-GTE had the better filter, even though it was smaller.

Jeff

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Hate to jack the thread,but the the origional design filter on the 7MGTE is adequate?
I mean that filter is TINY!!! I figured going to a larger and remote filter was better? Yes,no?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
A larger filter doesn't = better filtration.

A relocated oil filter offers all sorts of benefits:
Increased oil capacity
Easy access for changes
Larger filter for increased oil capacity
Larger selection of available filters

One MUST use high quality parts when relocating the oil filter!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
CajunKenny;1596854 said:
A larger filter doesn't = better filtration.

A relocated oil filter offers all sorts of benefits:
Increased oil capacity
Easy access for changes
Larger filter for increased oil capacity
Larger selection of available filters

One MUST use high quality parts when relocating the oil filter!

Bold my emphasis.