Oil disappearing.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
I check my oil regularly, well pretty much everytime I check it I have to add some. Under boost my buddies say there is alot of smoke, although this only under 15lbs. I ask them what color, black and blue. Ok so fuel yea i know its running rich, but blue, thats oil. It doesnt smoke at all at idle or start up. I'm almost sure its the turbo because the more I boost on 15lbs. the more oil comsumption. Its a 60-1 ugraded by Performance Techniques and i'm using Castrol Syntec 10w-40 full synthetic. I have .17 over Ross pistons which should burn some oil but not this much. If you know my car you know what it has been under, Ken the previous owner did a full in rebuild, all gaskets and seals were replaced.

Are my assumptions correct or could it be something else?

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Perform a compression and leakdown test before you jump to conclusions. You won't know the general health of the motor until you see those numbers. After that you can look further.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
skim1040 said:
check the turbo. any shaft play? do the fins looked messed up?

I checked it once when it was hot and once when it was cold. When its hot the shaft moves a bit up and down, very very little in and out. When its cold it seems fine like my DSM buddies new turbo. When it was hot there was a small "puddle" of oil sitting at the inlet. None of the fins are damaged though.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
Well in that case I wouldn't count on it being the turbo. On one of my previous motors, it was smoking similarly to how you're describing. The rings were screwed and I had a lot of blow by, so much that it was pushing oil into the exhaust manifold and turbo (both were wet with oil on the insides) and then pushing it out the exhaust and burning oil. Definitely do a compression test or if its burning a lot of oil you'll be able to tell a lot just by looking at the spark plugs.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
7MsuprO said:
Well in that case I wouldn't count on it being the turbo. On one of my previous motors, it was smoking similarly to how you're describing. The rings were screwed and I had a lot of blow by, so much that it was pushing oil into the exhaust manifold and turbo (both were wet with oil on the insides) and then pushing it out the exhaust and burning oil. Definitely do a compression test or if its burning a lot of oil you'll be able to tell a lot just by looking at the spark plugs.

I pulled the #1 plug and its blistered i think. Its white.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
p650680_1.jpg

Ohh and another thing it doesnt always burn oil. It seems like it just does it when it decides to.