Oil Analysis inside!

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Attached guys is the oil analysis I received from Holt from the sample I sent in.
The main things that showed up for those too lazy to click the link are calcium, zinc, phosphorus. The car doesn't have a history of drinking coolant and already was swapped to a MHG and ARPs about a year and half ago.

Disclaimer: I shipped it in an old pickle jar (dill to be precise) and may not have cleaned it out well enough, could explain some of the odd readings.

discuss!

Attachments

• 0207.pdf
    109.9 KB · Views: 54

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
JMDigital said:
How much did that cost? I did not know there was a place that did that.

There is also a place that my friend (mkIIIman089) uses, called Blackstone Laboratories. They send you the kit for free, with a sample bottle and shipping package and everything. If you want your results, it's $20.
Just fill the sample bottle everytime you change your oil and mail it out, then see what they find in it. Pretty good idea IMO.

-Justin

frank

Jan 2, 2006
BC
I'd say that you need a baseline. (Analyse new oil.)
Then you need to decide on an interval (preferably an hour interval, not a mileage interval) that you want to perform analysis at, every 400 hours of run time, or whatever. Oil changes would be best performed at an hour interval as well. The sample should be from the same "location" each time. Don't collect from the beginning of the drain one time and the end the next time. The sample should be hot oil from a just run engine. Shut it off, take the sample right away. Send the sample off ASAP, don't leave it sitting about.
The readings should be similar from one analysis to the next. You're watching for changes.
Sample containers must be totally clean when you're dealing with ppm of contaminates, if they arent you're wasting your time.

Calcium, Phosporus, Magnesium and Zinc are likely oil additives, I don't know why they have them listed as wear metals. The copper, lead and iron may or may not be elevated, they seem a little high to me. I've never seen a 7mgte analysis before, so have absolutely no comparison. The little bit of aluminum is probably normal cam bearing wear. The antifreeze is bad. Maybe there is some glycol like preservative used in pickles. Positive for water? How useless. Of course it's positive for water. You need to know how much.
You may find some useful information in this pdf:
http://www.oaitesting.com/g2047.pdf
My two bits worth.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
EdgeSupra said:
There is also a place that my friend (mkIIIman089) uses, called Blackstone Laboratories. They send you the kit for free, with a sample bottle and shipping package and everything. If you want your results, it's $20.
Just fill the sample bottle everytime you change your oil and mail it out, then see what they find in it. Pretty good idea IMO.

-Justin

We have two blackstone kits in stock. Cost is just postage to you, then you're off to deal with Blackstone mono y mono.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
thanks guys for everything! that link to the oil chart is awesome! now just gotta figure out what to do from here.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
I wonder what type of spectrometer they use to measuer that. Just courious. I think you would want to use a teflon bottle thougth to get a accuate reading.