Oh ignorance.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
So i recently went to a old school motorcycle shop to get oil and a filter for the R1. Some guy in a new corvette was just leaving the parking lot, the conversation with him went something like this...

Me: man thats a nice car, i'd take one of those

him: yea they arnt bad

(at this point he has left the parking lot and we hear the telltale "automatic" shift)

Me: too bad it's an auto kinda defeats the point, doesnt it?

Him: well thats cause the corvette makes too much power and they cant sell any stick shifts in california. Ford gets away with it cause their mustang is slow

Me: huh?

Him: yep sure as shit, I'd rather take an auto for a drag car anyways

me: an auto would be ok, i just wouldent want it to downshift on me as I'm powering out of a corner

Him: well the corvettes a drag car, always has been, always will be. Their tryin to make it into one of those road race cars but its born a dragster.

Me: yea well thanks for the parts.........

:nono:

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
RedEj8;977357 said:
Wow... :ugh:

lol yep. The motorcycle shop is like 2 blocks from my work so im thinking of going back to see if I caqn pick up any more gems of knowledge from this guy.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
lol just go there and pick his brain about anything he knows about cars. Write it all down or bring a tape recorder lololol

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
stpete002.jpg

Yeah and its the all time leading GT1 category car in wins why????

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
...Isnt auto better for drag racing. Not sure how many people can shift faster/smoother/consistent than an auto. Not to mention the torque converter helping launches? The vette is an old muscle car, which all were known for being straight line demons.

The guy sounded like an idiot but hes basing it on solid info hes herd from someone else it seems.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
MDCmotorsports;977378 said:
stpete002.jpg

Yeah and its the all time leading GT1 category car in wins why????

yea i had tons of ammo, but i didnt want to say anything else... it already hurt enough as it was.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
^^^ Lol

oh if only people knew of the Le Mans race :) the vette is one of my favorite cars in that race

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I saw the Le Mans at Road Atlanta. One of the best experiences of my life and i was just there for the Speed World Challenge race.

iwannadie;977379 said:
...Isnt auto better for drag racing. Not sure how many people can shift faster/smoother/consistent than an auto. Not to mention the torque converter helping launches? The vette is an old muscle car, which all were known for being straight line demons.

The guy sounded like an idiot but hes basing it on solid info hes herd from someone else it seems.

IMHO, the Corvette was never built as a muscle car, it's always been a sports car. I guess it was made around the time period of muscle cars and is American with a V8, but it is not considered a muscle car by most people because it was made to handle and wasn't just made with raw power in mind. I think that's more obvious with the newer ones than the old ones but you have to consider that at the time, older corvettes did handle better than other cars available. That said, it does perform pretty well in drag applications and the definition of a muscle car is open to interpretation.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
rtrdpenguin;977802 said:
IMHO, the Corvette was never built as a muscle car, it's always been a sports car. I guess it was made around the time period of muscle cars and is American with a V8, but it is not considered a muscle car by most people because it was made to handle and wasn't just made with raw power in mind. I think that's more obvious with the newer ones than the old ones but you have to consider that at the time, older corvettes did handle better than other cars available. That said, it does perform pretty well in drag applications and the definition of a muscle car is open to interpretation.

When I think muscle car I think "american" and "big motor" lol. Beyond that its all up in the air.

No doubt the vette can handle well though.