Oh great... amp messing up?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Got a used Lightning Auto B2.300.4 amp...

Got it all hooked up, and it does the strangest thing (car not on, btw, just key in run)

The audio plays normal, then gets really soft.... then comes back up normal again, and goes soft again.

Power light on the amp is staying on fine.

4 gauge wiring to the distro block, about 1" of 8 gauge to the amp itself, then a 8 gauge ground.... that I bet you anything you want isn't on very tight, now that I think of it... LMAO.

Any other ideas I can try tomorrow? I'll tighten up the ground, maybe pick up some 4 gauge for the ground....

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ok, tightened the ground, didn't help (it wasn't as loose as I thought)

*but* Cranked up teh car - worked fine! Seems if the voltage drops below a certain point, the amp shuts itself down, and I must have been riding that line :)

One problem though - 3 of the speakers work perfectly, but the right rear will not play. If I hold my ear up to it, I can hear it faintly, but nothing like the other speakers.

I just pulled the amp apart (Lightning Audio B2.300.4) but didn't find any problems... checked for continuity from the RCA inputs (from the RCA outputs on the Kenwood KRC-507) to the rear, and all seems fine.

I'm going to hook it back up again, and give it another try - if anyone has any suggestions for test procedures, etc, I'd love to know :)

I'm out of my field with this audio stuff :(