OEM Throttle Body Shave

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
I'm running a stand alone and don't need any of the factory ports on the throttle body. I'm cutting all of the ports/nipples off that I no longer need. I was just wondering if anyone has done this in the past and what they used to block the holes off with. I'm thinking JB Weld, multi part epoxies, or weld/braze. What are the thoughts? Since its a cast aluminum piece, I was trying to stear away from the welder. Stuff turns into a puddle with the quickness. Thanks

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I.M.O: the car would suck that "J.B. Weld " right in, just my threee cents:eek:

I'm no welder but, Thats what I would do, any one that welds alumninum should know whats up. or if you want it to look cheesy how about drill, and tap pipe threads and a plug with telon tape. If that doesn't work, then weld it.
Alright, speaking from no experience, but as I've said, just my three cents. if looks isn't a big deal then reroute vaccum lines,....maybe?

Last edited:

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Thanks for the reply, Im not gonna JB it or epoxy it now. After cutting off what I didnt need I realized that this is a very good cast piece. I didnt find one pit or pocket, which is sometimes rare to find. I have also gained access to a very nice water cooled A/C D/C welder that is way easier to control temps with than my table top unit. So in the end it will look factory fresh. :icon_bigg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
gofastgeorge;1393494 said:
Tap the holes, and put a screw-in plug in them.

+1

I have a BBK throttle body, and that's what I did for the ports I'm not using, just drilled and tapped for 1/8" NPT, and put in some brass plugs.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
so much work when with that time, get a mustang 5.0 70-80mm tb and call it a day...

no need to go silly, Silicone nipples with clamps on the barbs. air tight seal.

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Im gonna weld them up. Although its hard to get a grinder in there I hope to find a tall enough belt sander to clean it up. I will post some pics here when Im done with it.

As for the A/M throttle body, First I would love a nice Acufab or BBK or any of the nice billet once out there. However Im not looking to spend that kind of money on a TB right now. Plus there just too big for what Im running at the moment. Its just a factory mani changed over to a FFIM.

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
hey are you following my steps???? :sarcasm:

p1393785_1.jpg

p1393785_2.jpg

:naughty::naughty:
:biglaugh:

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Can't figure out why go with the stock TB when a custom CNCed TB can be had for $150 or less and be an upgrade in size and look! Especially when you are welding a new flange on anyways and are you both following my steps?
5 Years ago:
p1394106_1.jpg
:)

Seth

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
I didnt know that you had steps. Do you have a "how to"? I see that you've used an N/A manifold. Is that because you went n/a- T or is there a good reason to use that particular manifold?
Here are a few old pics of what mine looks like, I was goin for a factory type look.

p1394112_1.jpg

Added material to keep good flow to all runners

p1394112_2.jpg

p1394112_3.jpg

p1394112_4.jpg

Also ported and polished the runners upper and lower

p1394112_5.jpg

p1394112_6.jpg

I was just tryin to clean up the general look of the TB and manifold by removing to stuff i wont use/need.

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
sethron71;1394198 said:
Did you forget about the hood? lol That will not clear the hood especially once you get an IC pipe out there, trust me I know from experience hence the coupler....

Seth

I had to cut a small section of the hood brace out but no big deal. The IC pipe fits fine tho. Ive got two more factory manifolds that Im thinkin bout cuttin up for different styles of FFIM. I wont have it that high again.