odd temp gauge prob...opinions?

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Sorry if this is obvious and I don't get it, but...I recently had to replace a coolant hose (the short 90 under the distributor) and now I get strange temp gauge readings. When the car is warmed up and either idling or cruising, it stays right at halfway as it should, but when I accelerate the needle dips down, and sometimes even into the cold (dead bottom). I made sure my overflow isn't dry. It doesn't overheat, even on a 20+ mile cruise. What am I missing?
Thanks!

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Not sure on your problem but out of the two supras i have owned the stock temp gauge isnt really that realiable. Also i've never seen the warm up temp go past 1/3 of the gauge except when the head gasket blew...

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
yeah, I'm running a tstat. Its just weird that it started right after I replaced the hose. I checked today to see if there was a kink in it...no its cool. Maybe I have a short where when I accelerate and the engine rolls a little it makes a short? I know thats a stretch, but I'm baffled. Thanks for the replies!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
maybe you have too much antifreeze in the mix? maybe. no clue other than that... i dont know if you can get a car to run too cold unless its in cold weather with that mix...

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I fixed mine. On the T-Stat housing there are ajumble of wires.(left of the cam cover) there is a white connector. Its like yellow with a gren stripe Unoplug it and plug it back in. Just re-seat it. Fixed my problem!

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Have you checked the thermostat? I remember very vaguely, that sometimes it can get stuck either open or closed, causing abnormal temp readings.

-Joe

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Interestingly enough, when I run it with the cap off, the antifreeze will come up and run over. If I give it throttle, the antifreeze level sinks down out of sight, until I let off and then it come back up (and over). It did give off some air bubbles though...I will try the yellow/green stripe wire next, and then prolly change the t-stat.