OBD conversion to OBD II for carputer setup

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
alright so i have been doing some research online and have been trying to do a custom carputer set up in my supra (using a mac mini running windows 7 and mac OSX snow leopard) and use a program called ride runner (formaly known as roadrunner). The issue i am running into is that snce i am not an electrical expert, i was trying to get some sort of adapter for the supra such as the one on this website.http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/toplevel.asp?cat=0 .
the only problem with this is that wel, its only of GM vehicles and not JDM... anyone know of someplace where i could purchase something like this for a 1987 toyota supra turbo?!?! thanks

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
i kno you can do this with a paper clip, but i want to use the program riderunner which would display it on the cars screen. OBD diagnostics is one of the many features of this such as gps, bluetooth, wifi, music, etc....

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
what do you expect it to display freeze frames and such like on new cars with obd2 and can?

might be more worth it to just hardwire in a super moniter if your cars 89+ then it will tell you which code and not flashes and you wont have to get out of the car.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
noimitation;1488985 said:
alright so i have been doing some research online and have been trying to do a custom carputer set up in my supra (using a mac mini running windows 7 and mac OSX snow leopard) and use a program called ride runner (formaly known as roadrunner). The issue i am running into is that snce i am not an electrical expert, i was trying to get some sort of adapter for the supra such as the one on this website.http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/toplevel.asp?cat=0 .
the only problem with this is that wel, its only of GM vehicles and not JDM... anyone know of someplace where i could purchase something like this for a 1987 toyota supra turbo?!?! thanks

Nothing like that exists for the Supra. GM computers are programmed to stream some data when asked. All that cable does is convert that data to a format a PC can understand (serial). Probably the easiest way to accomplish something similar on your car would be to run a megasquirt system. That or retrofit a Syclone/Typhoon control system. A lot of work just to monitor, though.

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
limequat- well thats were i was kind of confused.. i saw someother post talking about using standalone for the supra such as AEM which would allow sum monitoring of temps, pressures, etc. but i dnt plant go to standalone at this moment. Could you expalin what/how megasquirt and Syclone/Typhoon control systems work and the diference between them?!?! Thanks for the information about how GM vehicle work, i didnt know that.

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
with a little more research, i came across somethin fond in 8-88 mkii supraswhich might lead me to something im looking for :) ITwas called a super monitor. its allows the user to Clock

Calender

Range: Predicts how many miles left you can drive based on a starting off with a full tank (also considers how much MPG you are going through for this figure).

Counts down how many miles left since last oil change if you reset it. Beeps if you haven't changed the oil by the scheduled interval when you open the door or was it when you first start it.

Calculates MPG since you last hit the reset button for that feature.

Checks engine and automatic tranny codes/problems

anyone know anything about this and how it works ( if i need some special adapter to run to the computer, program, where its located in the supra etc.)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
noimitation;1489305 said:
with a little more research, i came across somethin fond in 8-88 mkii supraswhich might lead me to something im looking for :) ITwas called a super monitor. its allows the user to Clock

anyone know anything about this and how it works ( if i need some special adapter to run to the computer, program, where its located in the supra etc.)

ya you will need the comp that is under the drivers side dash, there's a gte and ge version and it matters to make everything for the most part accurate.

you will also need the gauge cluster for it.

its found in some 87-88 cars but not all.

you will have to custom wire it in.

iirc limequat did a hard wire of it but could be someone else.

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
so wait, i have a 1987 mkiii turbo so shouldn't the super monitor be incorporated inside the vehicle already?!! i thought i just needed some type of adapter hooked up to a laptop to obtain the readings from the super monitor. Please correct me if i am wrong

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The super monitor is it's own little unit that plugs into the harness and displays through it's own readout that takes the place of the clock. It's not going to plug into a laptop.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if your clock has 4 buttons then you have it if it has 3 then you dont but then you might also already have the factory wiring for it so you can just get the comp and gauge cluster

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The Super Monitor was an option on the 87-88 cars. It is a separate computer that plugs in to the main harness. And has a unique display incoperated in to the digital clock position. Most 87 and 88 have the plug incorporated into the harness even if they don't have the computer. The computer calculated the data based on inputs from the speed sensor, tach signal, and injector pulse signal. It is not OBD compliant and there is no data stream containing engine parameters, outside of standard sensor inputs, to tap into.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
There's no data stream of any kind usable by anything but the factory Toyota "break out box" iirc.

Even these signals are the most crude and viably useless for monitoring purposes.

If you want to monitor the engine the closest thing you could do is a zeitronix wideband. The software logs TPS, EGT, Air fuel ratio, RPM, and any 0-5 volt sensor of your choosing. You can also purchase a boost sensor for manifold pressures.

Megasquirt is a stand alone engine management.

Supermonitor is as stated a different clock that displays various other information. This cannot be streamed threw any program on a computer.

The zeitronix bundle is the easiest/cheapest/best solution for monitoring purposes.

I'm curious why your looking to monitor all these things on a stock TCCS.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
hvyman;1489328 said:
ya you will need the comp that is under the drivers side dash, there's a gte and ge version and it matters to make everything for the most part accurate.

you will also need the gauge cluster for it.

its found in some 87-88 cars but not all.

you will have to custom wire it in.

iirc limequat did a hard wire of it but could be someone else.

Wasn't me. I think it might have been DrJonez

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
nosechunks;1489436 said:
There's no data stream of any kind usable by anything but the factory Toyota "break out box" iirc.

Even these signals are the most crude and viably useless for monitoring purposes.

If you want to monitor the engine the closest thing you could do is a zeitronix wideband. The software logs TPS, EGT, Air fuel ratio, RPM, and any 0-5 volt sensor of your choosing. You can also purchase a boost sensor for manifold pressures.

Megasquirt is a stand alone engine management.

Supermonitor is as stated a different clock that displays various other information. This cannot be streamed threw any program on a computer.

The zeitronix bundle is the easiest/cheapest/best solution for monitoring purposes.

I'm curious why your looking to monitor all these things on a stock TCCS.

the reason i am looking into monitoring all these different sensors is because i like to plan ahead. If i am to do something i want to do it right the first time around and since i saw that pre 1996 GM vehicles were able to monitor thier car through a carputer and since i am planning my carputer setup i thought now would be a good time to see if/how i would make this possible on the supra

my supra does have the four buttons on the clock so i will go check and see if i indeed do have the super monitor on my car. (crossing my fingers :) )