O-Ring cylinder head?

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Hey guys,
Well I have never had much headgasket problems until the motor I am running now so I thought I would try something new. I am looking to o-ring the head. Actually machine a groove for a 1/16" o-ring around each bowl and around the water and oil jackets. I am not planning to do every water jacket but rather just go around the perimeter inside the studs and then each oil galley will get an individual o-ring. I have done quite a bit of research and it seems do able for sure. I talked with my local rubber and o-ring specialty shop and we came up with using Viton® Fluoroelastomer which has a Dura of A90 and can handle up to 400 degrees. I still need to do a bit more research to find out the actual temperature that close the to bowl. But the o-rings in a proper groove can handle 2500psi and would actually give a little if I ever lifted the head under boost vs a MHG which obviously has no give! I may end up having to machine the bowls out a bit to drop the compression back down a bit due to the dropped deck height without a gasket.

Obviously I have easy access to the CNC and can do this in a day but I am guessing no one really does it because of the cost it would incur for a one off design and research project. I also see people using brass compression rings and even stainless wire as a hard seal. So brass inserts with o-rings around the water jackets and oil galleys is another option.

Let me know what you guys are thinking and the pros and cons or if I am just flat crazy!!

Seth

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
note: I think you would be better served putting the grooves into the block- machine the head (were it to lift/warp) one time and you have to re-do everything.

I don't know what issues you have been having, but a properly machined head and block should have no issues sealing and holding gobs of power.

Pros:
No more buying MHG's ;)
It could theoretically raise your CR.
When properly set-up, O-rings can hold enormous power.

Cons:
I remember reading a lot of threads about this back when I just signed on SM, the general consensus being that there wasn't enough clearance between the cylinders for it to be a strong modification. It could work, but it was more likely to fail given the fundamental block shortcomings.

If you lift the head, the O-rings would fail just like a MHG, in fact the O-rings would have less 'give' than the MHG since the MHG has the raised beads (and stopper ring in the HKS stopper) and acts somewhat like a spring.

Your piston must be ~1mm below the deck height- .040" is the general spec for piston-head clearance in performance engines. Any less and you run the risk of hammering the pistons into the head.

That's a lot of O-rings to keep retained the the grooves as you install the head, any one them gets dislodged and you're doing the whole job over again.

That's just what I can think of right now, perhaps I'll come up with more later (at work atm)

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
I agree with Steve on the cons. The build in my car at the time that you drove it had an O-ring head with a copper HG. Of course at that time it also had a boost leak. About 3 days after I found and fixed the boost leak-just a loose clamp-the HG blew. I also had a conversation with Ian about the cons and the lack of clearance between the cylinders. The shop that did the head used that set up on a number of high HP VWs, it worked well on those motors but not on a 7M.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
If don properly it should be fine. Most High power race cars run an O-ring setup system because it will seal far more superior but the key is to ensure the machine work is done perfectly.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
IBoughtASupra;1823088 said:
Just a suggestion, wouldn't a MHG and 1/2 ARP be good. I am not sure if that 7M head has that material for 1/2 studs though.

The 7M's stock head hardware is 12MM.

12 millimeters = 0.472440945 inches

And to answer your question Yes there is enough material.

ARP has a new material they could custom make studs for you with. But they're pricey as fuck.

http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.aspx?i=101&e=5&c=TechArt

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
O, okay. I didn't know the stock sizes of the 7M studs.

If you call ARP, they would have a better idea on the rating of their hardware and what they could make.