Not your common "speedometer doesn't work" thread

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Depending if the speedo gear is stripped out you may be able to replace that without tearing into the trans.
12mm bolt on the top and it slides right out. Might need to drain the fluid, not sure.
p1989689_1.jpg

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
so sorry for reviving this thread. but its been hard getting to this point like in the picture above, and i still cant figure out how to get out the old gear and replace it with the new one. so how do i get the old nylon wheel off? its an r-154 tranny. TIA.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Iirc there is a clip on the cabole side. See pic. The wheel doesnt come off the shaft...,.

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
Ok. Here comes the same question asked a different way: how do I remove the large threaded metal piece so the nylon wheel can come out the transmission body? I've removed the 12mm bolt and the small metal tab, but the large threaded metal part won't move in any direction. Sorry I'm being dense here, but it's driving me crazy not to have my working speedo. TIA.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not the same question. That's a different question.

You can try prying out with a screw driver or something. There is a oring sealing it so it might be a little stubborn.