Not starting

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Ok so I fixed my sputtering problem by switching out the TPS again for the second time. Well I got gas the other day and started my car up and pulled to the intersection to pull out and it dies in the intersection. So I crank and crank and crank to no avail. I then push my car off to the side and go over everything and it all looks in order. Still no start. So I check codes and pull a 41. TPS go figure. I had been buying them from O'Reily's so I called up toyota and had them order me one. Put it on today and go to start it up and it just cranks and that's it. Pull codes again. Code 51 and nothing else. Back when I first got my car the A/C didn't work so my Grandfather hardwired it to a toggle switch. But I dont' see how this could affect anything b/c my car has ran fine since then. I'm kinda lost in what to check. Someone shoot me an idea of what to look at. Thanks Bill.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Well I went out and tested wires for conitnuity per TSRM. I was checking the IDL signal on the ECU and wasn't getting anything; but then again I didn't really know what I was doing. I plugged the ECU back in and just for the hell of it I reached over and cranked the car and it started. Still getting a code 51. So I don't know what I did. My idle is high at around 1000rpms. Is there a way to adjust it? I just wish I knew what I did to make the car run again lol. Thanks Bill. PS when you figure out what sensor it was let me know I've changed my TPS three times.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Ok been a while since i've posted in this thread but I've figured something out and wanted to see if I was just stupid or maybe found my real problem. My car wouldn't start today after driving it about 7mi. Shutting it off for about 25min. then starting it up just to have it die after about 5 sec. of running. I pulled off my intercooler pipe that goes to the 3000 pipe and my car started right up. So could my AFM be bad or my air filter so dirty that it's not getting the correct reading to start my car. Thanks Bill.

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
billwert;1014327 said:
Ok been a while since i've posted in this thread but I've figured something out and wanted to see if I was just stupid or maybe found my real problem. My car wouldn't start today after driving it about 7mi. Shutting it off for about 25min. then starting it up just to have it die after about 5 sec. of running. I pulled off my intercooler pipe that goes to the 3000 pipe and my car started right up. So could my AFM be bad or my air filter so dirty that it's not getting the correct reading to start my car. Thanks Bill.

Yeah. Check your AFM for continuity. If you need to replace it, there are several vehicles with the same unit, so finding one shouldn't be difficult at all.

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
billwert;1014350 said:
Cool thanks for confirming that. This has been plaguing me for a while. Thank you again Bill.

No problem. Let me know how it turns out.

Mike

Ninja Edit: Bookmark this. It's the list of MkIII Error codes. I will put this in my sig as well if you ever need it again.