Not Running car with intercooler??!!

yung2ner

3E5 LOVER
I just bought an 88 7M-GTE for $1000.....the guy thrashed it before I bought it and (he says) it spun a rod bearing. We went to a Toyota service shop and they said it is common for the head gasket to go out. But when I bought it the guy I bought it from put his truck battery in it and we cranked it over, but it was out of fuel. While it was turning over I did hear a small knocking in the engine. So my dad and I were looking at the car yesterday, and I guess I wasn't thinking about it, but it doesn't have an intercooler!! I know he probably drove it with out it, but what will that do to the engine? I havn't started the car yet because it needs a new battery, but I'm trying to find out what it needs before I figure out what the engine needs!!? Any ideas on what happened/will happen to the engine?

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Sounds like you probably need some engine work done to it. He probably sold the intercooler after the car crap'd out. Get a stock one, they sell for cheap.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
If the car doesn't have an intercooler and the hoses from the turbo and the throttle body aren't connected, no it will not start.

If you can hear it knocking when it's cranking over, I wouldn't even try to start it.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
^^^ What he said about everything having to be there.

I have 2 stock intercoolers if you want to buy one. PM me for details.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Sounds like you just went ahead and threw away $1000.

Next we'll hear the "dime sized rust" on the quarterpanel...