Non turbo to turbo conversion

mk3supraboy

hey everyone i recently got my 88 toyota supra n/a and wanted to go turbo so i was wondering what do you need to go turbo i heard you need 7mgte of course r154 transmission and ecu but im not sure what else so if someone could help me it would be much appreciated :icon_bigg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
You don't NEED the R154, but it's a good idea if you're going to go for upgrades.

You will need to do something about the tach. You can get the box from a turbo car, or something like a MSD tach adapter. There's a list of resistors you can swap if you're handy with a soldering iron as well.

Of course you'll need the goodies that come with the GTE as well, like the igniter, injector resistors, and a few other things under the hood. Probably best if your donor engine (At least the ECU and wiring harness) come from the same year of car that yours is, but it's not impossible to make it work if it's different.

If you swap out the transmission, you should swap out the differential as well. You will need to swap the driveshaft for the transmission. If you're in Canada, you'll have a 4.300:1 limited slip differential already. If you're in the States, it will probably be an open differential, though it MIGHT be limited slip. I'd suggest that you swap out the differential. An '88 turbo should have a 3.909:1 limited slip, which will make a 10% difference on your speedometer. (I ran the turbo diff in my NA for years, so my odometer reads quite a bit low.)

Other things like intercooler are a good idea, and some instrumentation. Don't bother with the factory boost gauge, go aftermarket. Leave the voltmeter in there!

Last edited:

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
just did my na to turbo last week it you go yellow plugs (87-88) you also need that year turbo cluster its like 40 bucks at the junk yard. Some how hook up the stock boost gauge if you want I didn't just had another aftermarket one so i hooked that up. the w58 is good for now till you get everything for the R. Also need a HAC hard to find its under the glove box next to the ecu and looks like a stock boost sensor. Just pull the tranny out with the motor way easier. If you get a automatic harness for the turbo you will need to bypass the in park to start thing. Can't think of anything major that Dan_Gyoba didn't already say.